BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, try not to abuse me too much on this one. Here goes.

Does anyone out there have any opinion on which child seat is best in the rear of the M5? I've searched this forum and there is not much out there related.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BMW themselves produce a few different infant seats.
I've used the baby one for a year now (in a 740 a Z3 and an M5) and it's the only seat I'd use.
The baby chair is rear-facing and attaches to a steel frame that's buckled in.
The only problem I've found is that if you don't take the frame out for a couple of weeks it leaves indents in the leather (but not permanent).

'00 Silverstone M5
'97 Arctic Silver Z3
'91 GTO

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
holoship,
Thanks for the quick reply. Where did you purchase the child seat and does it integrate into any of the strollers that are common, like the graco, century, etc..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got mine from my dealer (24 hour order)... I think that's the only place you can get them.
I'm pretty certain it doesn't attatch to any strollers - it's a fairly unique design.

I couldn't find info on it on the BMW US site, but you can see it here: http://www.bmw.co.uk/accessories/index.html
(Go to Safety & Security and then Child Seats)

Regards,

holoship

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I didn't check your locale. I don't think these seats are sold in the US because they are forward facing. In the US children under 1 year of age must face to the rear of the vehicle. You know, the UK/USA divide continues to widen?

Thanks for your replys. Anyone else out there have any information on the child seats of choice? I'd love one manufactured or at least sold through BMWNA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi again,

The baby seat is indeed rear facing... it's standard in the UK too :)

It's a standard BMW part, so you should be able to order it.

holoship

·
Registered
372 Posts
Rear facing child seats huh? Cool! If I ever had a little tyke I could nickname him/her "tailgunner". Teach them how to spot police / ghost cars. I'm sure the early warning "wail" sound would come natural to them. No batteries or fancy wiring required either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Holoship

Are you the Silverstone M5 that I have seen driving on the the A143 to and from Bury St Edmunds??

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Steve...

Possibly... but I've been in France for the last 5 months or so.... my # plate's JEDI 85 - was it me?

What are you driving?

Dom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Steve...

Possibly... but I've been in France for the last 5 months or so.... my # plate's JEDI 85 - was it me?

What are you driving?

Dom

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by SteveG:
Hank

Try the Recaro seats. They are forward facing and look better in M5 than all other
child seats!!

Steve
You can order Recaro child car seats at 909.773.0018 for $399.00

------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are going to fit a child seat, don´t forget to ask your dealer to disable rear airbag.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Michael

Yes I do have the recaro child seats, 3 in fact.

Yes it's a good seat, it uses standard belts, so they don't get all twisted up. The children sit high, so they are happy. They recline into a sleeper position and they move easily in and out of car.

Although the base is plastic it does not indent on leather too much. For under two's you'll need the extra booster cushion and side supports.

Also you can get them in some good solid colours and not the usual garish prints.

I got them from a local Lancaster dealer. If you phone up recaro, no. on website, they'll let you know who nearest supplier is.

According to BMW rear airbags are OK with this kind of seat and so to is euro front airbag, just make sure seat is positioned OK.

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts