BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Ditto on my 04/03 build date Upper and lower are there.

I thought this was a 2002 DOT requirement?

Per NHTSA - vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2002

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I have an '02 - it also has LATCH.

I also have a Recaro - prepare yourself for a fight.

I've talked to Recaro already about this, but feel free to call and complain as well: the straps on the seat are too short.

Now, what I found was that if you completely lengthen the strap on both ends, which means physically feeding the doubled over portion of the strap into the buckle, then you can clip it in. Otherwise, the strap just isn't long enough.

Also, you'll want to attach the interior buckle first - put the seat in at a 45 degree angle, attach the interior buckle, swing the seat into position, and then attach the outside buckle. Apply pressure to the seat and pull on both straps.

Not that I've had any practice with this, btw :)

Oh, one other thing - get yourself a seat protector. I use one called the Prince Lionheart which is heavy weight rubber. It works well, but the seat will still leave indentations if left in place too long (several days).

d-

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have an '02 - it also has LATCH.
I've talked to Recaro already about this, but feel free to call and complain as well: the straps on the seat are too short.

Now, what I found was that if you completely lengthen the strap on both ends, which means physically feeding the doubled over portion of the strap into the buckle, then you can clip it in. Otherwise, the strap just isn't long enough.

Also, you'll want to attach the interior buckle first - put the seat in at a 45 degree angle, attach the interior buckle, swing the seat into position, and then attach the outside buckle. Apply pressure to the seat and pull on both straps.
d-
I've also got a Recaro seat and can't quite figure out what straps you're talking about ? :confused2
Under further thought, I hope you realize that when adjusting the back of the seat for height (as your kid grows taller), one also has to unsnap and move the metal rod into the next position, on the back of the seat. Otherwise, indeed, the shoulder straps will no longer fit properly. The straps have to loop out from the back of the seat to the front, just an inch behind your child's shoulder. PM me if you can't understand my explanation and I'll provide you with my contact Tel. #. It is key that this seat be installed properly. I've found that even professionals get the Recaro seat wrong, most of the time, as they are unfamiliar with the height adjustements.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
sounded to me as if the latch straps themselves were too short, not the should straps. Either way, I appreciate the advice for installation. I already have a seat protector thing for the seats that seems to work pretty well.

What version recaro seat do you have? Just wanted to see if we are talking apples to apples. Either way, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
572 Posts
^

Are we talking about the latching metal buckles ?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Wow, lots of good info, looks like I now have something to replace my towel armour I am using right now.

One note, I looked at that universal cover thing ($200 sheesh) and it seems that you would want to cut a hole for the rear heat vents in the console, to keep the little ones warm.

Bob

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Are we talking about the latching metal buckles ?
In a 2002 or later MY E39 there should be small metal bars located in the joint between the seat cushion and seat back, these are called a LATCH system. Basically, it is an alternative way to attach a car seat and is supposedly (lol read above) easier.

I just go the infant seat in :biggrinbounce: its in the middle, used a product called "One Step Ahead" non slip car seat protector, an old rear mat from my M3 to level, and the middle seatbelt with the two buckles.

Easy install btw for tightening the seat down in the middle is to hook the "normal" latch first, pull the secondary latch through the car seat, then pull the seat belt out to maximum distance so that the ratchet engages. Because of the tension that already exists, you can sit on the car seat base, pull at the top and, voila, the thing is so tight the fireman couldnt move it. Best of all, no ridiculously complicated belt lock mechanism. cherrsagai

Took me 2 hours to figure out, but now I can take the car seat out, and out it back in about 5 min, level, latched and all. A minor miracle.

Anyone need pics I will post, and I am using a Graco seat btw.

-Kmac

Reactions: 4re308

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
sounded to me as if the latch straps themselves were too short, not the should straps. Either way, I appreciate the advice for installation. I already have a seat protector thing for the seats that seems to work pretty well.
Exactly :)

What version recaro seat do you have? Just wanted to see if we are talking apples to apples. Either way, thanks for the info.
I have a Young Sport - the 5 point harness that later converts into a booster. When I called "with a question about strap length" the woman immediately asked if I drove a BMW and said they were "working on it", but did not have a longer strap...

d-

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That is good to know as I have the Young Sport model too. I appreciate the heads up and will have a way to tackle it now. I will call and complain once I install the seat. :cheers:

·
Registered
572 Posts
^

Funny.....exactly that vision flashed B4 me...when I saw the price sticker.

BTW: I also have a set of Recaro "Young Sport" seats in the "Midnight Desert" colour, which matches my 2-tone Champagne/black interior perfectly. They look like they were custom made for my two little kings.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is a great great thread. Thank you guys, I did not even know the E39 universal protective cover existed, that is a MUST own!! You guys are amazing. THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Have all the parts, will be installing over the weekend. I am really looking forward to taking out the back seats...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts