BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen or have the part number of the LATCH system child restraint system for an E39 MY '00 M5?

There is a myth that it is out there, I have found a complete diagram on realoem.com of a rear seat - child system, but no LATCH system. Also, my dealer says its not available in the US, even tho it is listed in the parts catalogue.

According to the myth, it was seen in a BMW accessories catalogue around 2006.

My dealer is stumped, I am stumped, So i have turned to the pro's.

-Kirk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
962 Posts
While LATCH anchors are available for L and R rear seats, safest place for the child seat (according to all the research I've read) is in the center. There are no latch anchors there (at least not in my '03) and I use the seat belt. LATCH has not be shown to be safer, just simpler. That said, I can install my seat in about 2mins and it's good and tight...no issues whatsoever

Consider having your install professionally done or at least inspected. They are free and offered at a host of locations (at least here in PA) - police stations, some children's hospitals, some car dealers - by certified installers

Do a Google search and you should find it

Oh, and congrats!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do, ty for the advice. Local fire helps out, and I will use those latches for the babe when he's a toddler.

Really would be nice tho if we could get the european seat with the adapter that flattens out the passenger side seat...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Reactions: Kmac

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
baby easily fits under the net in the trunk :haha2:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kirk, also take a look at this...using RealOEM, I plugged in a MY00 European M5 and found this diagram...not sure what it is/how exactly it would work but looks like part 3 is a child seat w/ part # and looks like it's available (though gotta get the dealer to help you order it from Germany I guess)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE92&mospid=47550&btnr=52_0810&hg=52&fg=50
In an different post I was lamenting the fact that my dealer parts guys were saying that this would be virtually impossible to get. Part #3 would be particularly useful for an infant/toddler seat, as it levels the seat so you do not have to prop it up. It would be particularly useful with the latch system.

Part #4 is for children who are really too old for a seat, but too short for the seatbelt harness to be effective. It is essentially a booster seat, made in the same color and materials as your interior. Again, would be useful.

You effectively replace the entire rear set to do this, for the minor cost (haha) of $1500, if you could get someone to order it for you.

I have to wonder if it was ever presented to the NHTSA people for approval.

Ty again for looking that up.

-Kirk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
why don't they have a p/n for item 20?

also, where does that go? in the crease between the seat bottom and the seat back?

I think the diagram is numbered incorrectly. It says #19 is a covering cap, but it looks possibly like a bolt to me. OMG, the Germans made an error....

Those latch brackets do go in the crease between the rear of the seat and the bottom cushion, basically to the side of the existing latch from what i gather.

From looking at the install instructions, they look like they are easily removed.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Helpfull suggestions for installing a child seat:

Buy a large thick blanket or foam mat to cover the rear bench.
This will prevent identations in the leather, caused by the constant weight and pressure of your child seats.
Then purchase an original BMW rear bench vinyl dog cover and install it over the blanket/mat (I'm serious here).
Finally install the child seat over the dog cover (cut holes where necessary).
The dog cover will even protect the rear of the front seats (toddlers like to kick when pissed off :mad:), rear doors and complete rear interior from the destruction a baby/toddler can inflict grrrrrrr.
Basically, you've now turned your rear quarters into a spill/stain proof area.
Nice mod, eh !?!

·
Registered
962 Posts
got a part # on the dog cover?

is the vinyl cover "slippery" at all? I've seen a few "seat protectors" made for child seats to protect leather but their manufactured of some polymer that's very slippery and not, I don't feel, safe to install the child seat on top of. I don't want any risk of the child seat sliding around.

·
Registered
947 Posts
while I did not install any padding under the car seat (which I think I will do), I did install the universal seat protector. Works great. Can put my dog,my kid, no worries about messes, dirt, scratches, etc.

Buy a large thick blanket or foam mat to cover the rear bench.
This will prevent identations in the leather, caused by the constant weight and pressure of your child seats.
Then purchase an original BMW rear bench vinyl dog cover and install it over the blanket/mat (I'm serious here).
Finally install the child seat over the dog cover (cut holes where necessary).
The dog cover will even protect the rear of the front seats (toddlers like to kick when pissed off :mad:), rear doors and complete rear interior from the destruction a baby/toddler can inflict grrrrrrr.
Basically, you've now turned your rear quarters into a spill/stain proof area.
Nice mod, eh !?!

·
Registered
572 Posts
got a part # on the dog cover?

is the vinyl cover "slippery" at all? I've seen a few "seat protectors" made for child seats to protect leather but their manufactured of some polymer that's very slippery and not, I don't feel, safe to install the child seat on top of. I don't want any risk of the child seat sliding around.
Here is the rear cover:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DN63&mospid=47588&btnr=82_0155&hg=82&fg=26

It's made of a black vinyl/imitation leather that is no more or less slippery than the original leather interior.
I installed my Recaro child seat using the anchor system + secured it also with the tether strap to be extra safe.
The seat feels tight with minimal (side to side) movement.
No matter how tight you install these seats.....there will always be some play...cause there is no way of straping the front part of the seat down.
Once your child is in the seat, the weight will reduce that movement to a minimum.

·
Registered
375 Posts
There is an Eddie Bauer one I use in all my vehicles. You can get it at Target for under $20 I think. Anyway, it's nice and thick and grips VERY well so there is no sliding. I highly recommend it.

Eric

while I did not install any padding under the car seat (which I think I will do), I did install the universal seat protector. Works great. Can put my dog,my kid, no worries about messes, dirt, scratches, etc.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Wealth of good information on here. I am about to purchase an 03 M5 and am wondering it if will have a latch system installed or if it is something that has to be added to the car.

Can anyone clarify this? Life would be alot easier with using the latch system for the times I need to take the seat out of the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wealth of good information on here. I am about to purchase an 03 M5 and am wondering it if will have a latch system installed or if it is something that has to be added to the car.

Can anyone clarify this? Life would be alot easier with using the latch system for the times I need to take the seat out of the car.

Thanks
my 03 has LATCH
I have the base mounted in the middle right now...

·
Registered
462 Posts
graffix --

I have an 03 (5/03 build date) and have both the lower anchors (b/w the bench seat and seat back) and the anchor for the top on the rear shelf.

good luck

Michael

1 - 20 of 36 Posts