BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any folks from the Chicago area familiar with Fall-Line Motorsports? I've got a 2000 Carbon Black M5 with 48,000 mi. and I'm thinking of tweaking it a bit with a S1 Dinan package.

Steve

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Do a search for Dinan, there is much information about it on this board. Some members on this board have pretty strong opinions about Dinan - both good and not so good:typing: :blabla:

·
Registered
680 Posts
skdankle said:
Any folks from the Chicago area familiar with Fall-Line Motorsports? I've got a 2000 Carbon Black M5 with 48,000 mi. and I'm thinking of tweaking it a bit with a S1 Dinan package.

Steve
I assume you're asking about Fall Fline, not the Dinan kit.

I have not dealt with them myself, I have a friend who has - I hear all good things.

They're in Northbrook, and they supposedly have a crazy building there. I think you will be satisfied if you have them do the install. As I said, I have heard good things from a Dinan S2 M3 owner.

-Matthew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matthew,
Thanks - actually I was inquiring about Fall-Line - just curious if anyone had personal experience with them. I understand they usually have a couple S2 M5's on the premises that can be test driven. I'm not inclined to put in the 27 g's for an S2 package but am considering the S1 which runs about 7-8 grand. Frankly I'd mainly like a little boost in torque. Do you know anyone with an S1 package?

Steve

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't know of any S1 packages done, Steve.

All the people on the board either have a few bolt-ons or go the S2 route.

Again, to clarify, I did not make a typo above. My friend has an S2 M3 (not M5) and had the work done at Fall-Line. He's had no problems, and said that they did good work.

I did not know that they had S2 M5s on the grounds for test driving... can you confirm this? I would go over there for a drive if I knew it was true. I'd love to see what the difference between a stock and an S2 is.

-Matthew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matthew,
I've had a couple of e-mail exchanges with a fellow by the name of Mark Boden at Fall-Line - here's a snippet:

"...Currently all the Dinan products for your car are in stock at Fall-Line, we also have 2 S2 M5's at our shop most all the time if you would like to go for a ride in one...."

Steve <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
680 Posts
skdankle said:
Matthew,
I've had a couple of e-mail exchanges with a fellow by the name of Mark Boden at Fall-Line
Mark Boden?

I may get in touch with him. I'd love to go for a ride or perhaps drive an S2 car to see what it's like. Thanks for the info Steve!

Good luck with the S1 kit! But by the way, Steve... now that I'm looking at Dinan's website...

S1 kit:

Stage 2 Engine Software; High Flow Cold Air Intake, Free Flow Exhaust; Front Strut Tower Brace; Rear Shock Tower Brace; Stage 1 Suspension System; Signature Series Floor Mats; Serial Numbered S1 Plaque; Dinan Deck Lid Badge

Steve, for $7,000+ you are really not getting much bang for your buck.

5-10 more horsepower and 6 more lb-ft of torque... for 7k? You may not actually even feel the difference.

I do not want to sway you from doing mods that will make you happy. I completely understand that... my exhaust system may not make anymore power but it sounds like it should and so I'm happy.

But if you want more torque, you're not getting it from the S1 kit. I think most other board members would agree... if you want more pull, look at getting the Dinan 3.45 differential. That is the most cost-efficient way of "increasing" your torque.

Now I put increasing in quotes because with the new gearing you aren't actually increasing torque output from the engine, but you are multiplying the torque that gets put down to the ground. I believe Dinan's diff FEELS like a good 30 lb-ft increase. That's going to be your most cost effective torque-"adding" mod.

Some carbon intakes look and sound cool, and the exhaust will sound great, but you're not getting anything on power.

The suspension would be neat too, but... no torque there.

Just some thoughts for a fellow Beast driver...

-Matthew

P.S. If you get the differential, get the engine software as well, as per Dinan's recommendation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the advice there Matthew. I've just begun to look into this whole thing so I haven't really set on anything yet. I've also become aware that there are alternatives to Dinan for after-market tweaking - it's just that Dinan seems to be a more familiar product I guess. I have looked at the torque charts on the Dinan website comparing the S1 and S2. 27 g's still seems a pretty steep figure for the S2 in my opinion. I like your idea of the differential and chip. Fact is I love the car in the stock mode - maybe I'm just greedy, huh?

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Steve,

There certainly are aftermarket options other than Dinan, including specifically, other manufacturers of differentials (Evosport, a board sponsor) and chips (Powerchip; many think this is a significantly better product than Dinan's chip). But as with you, I would go the Dinan route out of familiarity with the product, warranty issues (perhaps not an issue for you at 48k on a '00) and dealer backing - I have a wonderful relationship with my dealer who would do the install and post-install care.

That said, yes, $30,000 (labor incl.) on an S2 is... a lot of money. A LOT of money. But if you just want a bit more torque, a Dinan 3.45 differential and engine chip would fit the bill more effectively in terms of performance (again, what feels like 30 lb-ft of torque) and price (~$2000) as compared to the S1 package you are toying around with (6 lb-ft of torque at ~$8000).

At the very least though, do yourself a favor and install a custom exhaust. I have the Supersprint cans and X-pipe and the car should have come like this from the factory. The stock exhaust is almost perverse compared to this.

Anyway, keep us all updated. I would like to check out Fall-Line sometime soon. In a couple weeks perhaps - a ride or a drive in an S2 would be a blast.

Pretty car. Go carbon black!

-Matthew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You say you're dealer will do the install and post-install care? Who's you're dealer down there? I got my car at Bill Jacobs Motorsport in Naperville but it's too far away for service - I'm up in cheesehead land in Milwaukee burbs. I use International Autos - the only other choice I have is Concours. I hear complaints about both dealers' service departments - and I haven't exactly been impressed with these guys myself. I figured if I did an after-market tweak I might not get much support from the local service folks.

Steve

·
Registered
680 Posts
skdankle said:
You say you're dealer will do the install and post-install care? Who's you're dealer down there? I got my car at Bill Jacobs Motorsport in Naperville but it's too far away for service - I'm up in cheesehead land in Milwaukee burbs. I use International Autos - the only other choice I have is Concours. I hear complaints about both dealers' service departments - and I haven't exactly been impressed with these guys myself. I figured if I did an after-market tweak I might not get much support from the local service folks.

Steve
Steve, I've been going to KNAUZ for almost 10 years now. I have developed a good relationship with them. They installed my Supersprint set-up and have always taken care of me. That said, it's a long drive for you in Milwaukee-ish. Fall-Line would be just as good, I'm sure. Either way, can't lose.

But as you know, additionally, if you do Dinan parts, that should not affect the way that your car is serviced at a dealer...

-Matthew

·
Registered
113 Posts
I jsut got my car back from Bodan at Fall-Line. He is a good guy. I love the mods. Car feels totally different. Will go back soon to get the headers.

They are stand up guys. PJ and Steve, his associates are great to work with.

Just my 2 cents.

RKM

·
Registered
16 Posts
skdankle said:

Steve
I had my 2000 M5 converted by Fall-Line last early summer. They did the complete S2 package, Brembo Big Brake Kit and SSR GT3 wheels. Awesome job. Talented, knowledgeable and practical. I would use them again.

Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
Steve,
I'm in the same situation as you. 2000 M5 with 49K miles...looking to do some mods. I just bought my M5 a few weeks ago and asked the same question. The top 2 were Fall Line and Knauz. I decided to go with Fall Line since they seem like more a BMW expert/tuner than a delaership. I'm dropping my car off there on Tuesday to get some work done (brake upgrades and possibly some Dinan mods). I've spoken with Mark Bodan a couple times and they do have 2 S2 M5's there that they'll take you for a drive in (we can probably drive them too). Mark has an S2 as well. I should get my car back by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Brian

·
Registered
680 Posts
Brian,

I'm excited to see what kind of Dinan mods you end up doing.

I hope the Chicagoland meet works out - I've never heard a Dinan exhaust in person!

Keep us all posted.

-Matthew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts