BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone checked their S38 timing using a timing light?

I believe I need a timing light with the retard function as the balancer only has the TDC mark.

Can you spot the mark on the timing cover with all the stuff in the way?

How did you do with the COP, without a HT Lead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Has anyone checked their S38 timing using a timing light?

I believe I need a timing light with the retard function as the balancer only has the TDC mark.

Yes, you will need that. Or, if you know how many degrees retard/advance it has you can put a mark on the timing wheel.

Background story:
Older M10/M20/M30 engines with ignition distributor with vacuum advance and engine speed advance were adjustable. BMW has put an extra mark on the trigger wheel (just a vibration damper without tooths by then) at a specified ignition angle. For example 25 degrees. Depended on the distributor part number a specification was given. 5000rpm (no vacuum hose attached) 25 degrees. Now you can use a regular timing light and adjust the distributor to the 25° mark @ 5000rpm.

Put the timing wheel at TDC and choose a good sport were you can see it. Mark the timing wheel and for instance generator bracket at the same spot to identify TDC over there.

How did you do with the COP, without a HT Lead?

Thanks!
There are leads which you can put in between the coil and spark plug. I can ask my colleague if it is possible from the primary side of the ignition (he should know that).

You will need diagnostics to read out live ignition timing to compare the actual. Since these systems weren't adjustable no timing light instructions were given by then. I suspect you want to check your stand alone engine management ignition settings with real world timing. Maybe an idea to set them to 0°CR and check TDC marks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help.

I have a standalone ECU so I am able to lock the timing.

I believe that the B38 engine has a mark on the timing cover and another on the vibration damper indicating TDC. Can someone confirm this?

I think it will be dificult to spot these marks with the fan in the way though...

Paulo

·
Registered
749 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts