BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after about a year of the car in storage, I decided to dig it out and do some work on it.

Back story.

The car had a bunch of work done and when returned it was acting strange. The exhaust note was different, with less power everywhere and horrible fuel mileage and horrible smell from exhaust.
I own several vehicles so it was no big deal, but I decided to dig into it. I noticed the gauge was sitting little after the first dot so I hooked up INPA and bingo, 72-74C on a highway cruise which is obviously too cold for the ECU to come out of open-loop. I bought another Tstat and metal seal ( I had a good working Tstat before work being done ) and took it all apart. I found the metal ring all beat up which would explain why the Tstat didn't seal correctly. The shop obviously couldn't get it out and simply left it in all mangled up.

As many on the board, I used to get around 27 mpg on the highway and about 19 mixed driving. The vehicle put down 355whp and 354wtq stock and with headers it did 355whp and 347wtq which is low with Evolve headers.

After installing a new TStat, new seal I was ready for a test drive (temps at 30F tonight) After a short drive I could tell there was much more power, the motor sounded quieter and exhaust sounds much deeper. 3rd gear pulls as hard as the 2nd used to before fixing the Tstat. The needle sits almost at 12 o'clock steady at 79-81C. I am beyond happy because I gave up on this thing long ago. Time to TUNE for headers and back to the dyno to see what it does now.
The bad news is, one of the seals let go going WOT and I lost coolant so I have to remove the plenum again and redo it.

Any tips for making sure I don't have any more leaks from the 3 pipes? I could tell one was leaking. Should I throw it into the freezer with the seal on the pipe?
Can someone explain how Tstat would affect the motor in such a way? Timing being pulled is my best guess. Moral of the story, don't blindly trust shops.

Who should I reach out to for a remote tune? I do have access to a dyno.

Thank you. 🙏

·
Registered
45 Posts
Were the 3 pipes o-ring seals ever replaced? If not, do that as well. And I've heard it also helps if you lube them up before reassembly with...ahem, vaseline.

I'm actually going to be replacing the t-stat on my car soon along with the 3 pipes o-rings, then the coolant expansion tank. Car still has it's original tank from March 2002!!

Sent from Uranus with Love.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts