BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came out this afternoon to go drive to lunch. I unlock the car sit turn key 1 click and lights go away. Curse go to the back and check the battery, sure enough the cable is spinning on the post. Loosen it up push down on the cable and retight again. Car fires right up. So check those cables to make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Had a similar problem today. I was driving home from work (in the dark) and everything went dead for a split second. I thought, thats very wierd, and then it happened again. I started getting nervous because everything turned off on the car including the lights for 1-2 seconds. Now that I've lowered my speed (thruway driving) it began happening very quickly 6-8 more times until finally shutting down the car giving me absolutely no power including hazards! Luckily I was going down my offramp by now and I muscled it (steering and brakes) around the corner onto the side of the street. I should mention that while I was coasting with no power there were vehicles in front and behind me providing light and luckily keeping some distance. While feeling helpless coming to a stop I also tried to restart it several times. When I came to a stop the first thing I thought of was the battery cable. I wiggled the ground cable through the access hole and she powered back up. It "tripped" 2 more times on the remainder of the trip home.

I cleaned and tightened all connections by and on the battery in hopes that it doesn't come back!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I had a similar issue, except the car would sputter and shut off while in motion! Scary going 80mph and having the entire car shut off. Recheck the connections! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
576 Posts
This happens to me all the time even though I've tightened and retightened the cables. I had a lightweight battery for a while and it seems like the integrity of the cable has diminished over time. I know my problem is still cables because I open the trunk and wiggle positive or negative and I see life being restored to the car. Annoying to say the least, dangerous to say the...appropriate amount.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My issue was that my cable was spinning around the post like a stripper does on a pole lol. Having a Honda Vtwin b4 I'm sort of use to battery cables/ bolts coming loose due to vibration. On the bike it was a PITA as you had to remove the seat to get to it. But was you tighten those cables it starts so much better new life. The battery post on our battery is wide from the bottom and narrows up, so once it becomes loose it slides up and we get intermediate connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts