BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email from autotrader from someone interested in buying my car. He simply stated that he liked the car and would like to see some photos. So I sent them via email and this is what showed up today.

"Hello,

Thanks for your mail.

Due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time,actually my client want to use the vehicle as a birthday gift to his wife. I am delighted to tell you that he has commended your vehicle and he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $52,000, which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque.

So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $43,000 when
payment gets to you and refund balance $9,000 to the shipper for him to be
able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.
After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the
shipper's agent will come for pick up of vehicle & signing of title
papers,handle some cosmetic touches if any and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.

Confirm this and forward your Names, Address and
Phone number for payment to be made to you as soon as possible.

Best regards to you and your family.
Sloan.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll bet the check is from a nigerian bank that does not exist

You would be amazed at how many people fall for this one...

Given todays baking (international) what happens is that your bank will considere it cleared (and actually state it)... you pull the 9k.. send it back, etc... then in about a week, the check bounces, your bank comes a knocking for thier 9k + bounced check fees .... you are out 9k... not to mention that if you actually shipped your car... you are out that as well

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Don't walk away from this one - run!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't imagine how people fall for this, this also happened when I was selling my E55 and S4.

·
Registered
616 Posts
But its genuine, thats how I bought my beast.... Got all the contact details, and sold the lists to Spammers/Theives....

Do these people think the whole world is stooopid, not just them??? :confused3

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you haven't already, you should read The Art of the Steal by Frank W. Abagnale. Remember the movie by Steven Spielberg, Catch Me if you Can? The movie is based on his life. He is one of the foremost fraud and scam experts today, and his book is chock full of excellent tips and things to think about.

If you haven't read the book about his life by the same name, I highly recommend it. Fun read, and to think that all of it was actually true is quite amazing.

In short, if you are not paranoid about fraud and identity theft, you will not survive in today's world. It's sad, but true. Everyone is out to get you.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I wouldnt do that deal with someone elses money! It's funny that well call them foolish for trying, but you know the more and more you try the odds of finding a winner gets higher. Spam all E39 M5's in autotrader, and I am sure someone will fall for it. Interesting world.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I would contact the fed's on this one.

buying my car. He simply stated that he liked the car and would like to see some photos. So I sent them via email and this is what showed up today.

"Hello,

Thanks for your mail.

Due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time,actually my client want to use the vehicle as a birthday gift to his wife. I am delighted to tell you that he has commended your vehicle and he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $52,000, which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque.

So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $43,000 when
payment gets to you and refund balance $9,000 to the shipper for him to be
able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.
After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the
shipper's agent will come for pick up of vehicle & signing of title
papers,handle some cosmetic touches if any and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.

Confirm this and forward your Names, Address and
Phone number for payment to be made to you as soon as possible.

Best regards to you and your family.
Sloan.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
WHen I was shopping, I was talking with a seller down south- all of a sudden his car shows up on Yahoo Autos. His pics, his VIN.

Turns out someone requested pictures- then this scum posts a fake auction looking to scam folks.

My seller insisted they couldn't scam anyone since he had the car. Well, I contacted the scammer- the reply was 'send a deposit and I will send the car- you like it you just send the remainder'.

I can virtually guarantee that at any time, 2 or 3 sales on yahoo are scams.

Ard

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've had the same thing happen.....knowing it was a scam, I did a bit of research at the time to try and find out exactly how it worked.....

The Cashiers Cheque would actually clear in your account after a few days. This is because, the cheque is genuine, from a real bank in Nigeria, or somewhere similar. As soon as you see the cash, you then wire the 9K difference back to them......after a few days, you get another email telling you about some awful disaster ( like his wife becoming terminally ill ) which means they cannot complete the transaction. For the inconvenience, they ask you to wire back only 33K, and keep 1K for yourself as a 'sorry'.....after a few more days or even a couple of weeks, the clearing system catches up with your 'cashiers cheque' and finds that there were insufficient funds in their bank. Your bank then debits your account 43K and there's nothing you can do about it.....and pretty impossible to trace.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We have a Bomex (Bomex is Japanese aero kit tuner) modified Pontiac Sunfire here we are selling and is on AutoTrader and these same imbeciles contacted us trying to negotiate this same kind of deal. Same exact deal you described madyspop but the over amount is around $7K. These guys seriously think people are dumb. I hope they come down to L.A. and try some stunts. I will post pics if they do. heheheheh

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I get these bastards everytime I auction vintage music gear.
It never fails, But I love stroking them on for weeks.
I've learned to waste there time better than them wasting mine.
Tell them you can only accept a Western Union check with your name one it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The problem is, it only takes one or 2 times where they get lucky. It used to be "buyer beware", but with EBAY and other online sites, it's quickly becoming "seller beware".

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I dont understand what the probelm here is? The guy has offered to buy your car and pay you more to be refunded later.

The ball's in your court!

Dont release the balance nor the car until teh payment and the cheque has cleared your account! If it takes a week for all documents to be cleared, then so be it! Other than that, you should be fine!

Can someone please explain if I missed out on something here?

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ahmed said:
I dont understand what the probelm here is? The guy has offered to buy your car and pay you more to be refunded later.

The ball's in your court!

Dont release the balance nor the car until teh payment and the cheque has cleared your account! If it takes a week for all documents to be cleared, then so be it! Other than that, you should be fine!

Can someone please explain if I missed out on something here?

Thanks
The problem is due to the way the clearing system works, the cheque will initially clear in your account, only to bounce when the clearing system catches up. Best thing is to stay well clear.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'd like to hear how quick that process is now with the new check cashing rules that went thru.
Everything is to happen in one or two days now(electronics!).

Just wait till you have someone contact you when your a bidder on a item offering you the samething.
This is where I have my most fun with them.
One they can't speak/type good english and give a england address.
Then ask for payment thru Western Union which can be picked up anywhere in the world with a fake ID.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah,

I'm surprised they don't want you checking account information and maybe your social security number. Sounds like that Nigerian scam that's been around for a decade or two. I think you should call your state Attorney General or the local police about a case of fraud and see how "Sloan" likes them apples.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Read this.
419 (4-1-9)

Bookmark it and keep informing others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your Email, my name is Mr Mike James, the fiduciary agent assigned to assist you in the claims process of your winnings, I am in receipt of your completed verification form which i also have your full delivery information is is stated below for your confirmation, having done all the proper verification exercise I hereby confirm that your winning details sent to this office corresponds with the record on my file.

I therefore wish to congratulate you on behalf of the BMW Lottery Inc. and to state that you are a lucky person to have emerged a winner in the on going 2016/2017 BMW Lottery Promotions.

Your email address with ticket Number BMW- 255125HGDY03/23 was randomly selected along with 10 others from a database of over 250,000 email addresses drawn across the continent, each email address was attached to a ticket number and yours emerged as the number 7th winner of the prize of a brand new BMW 5 series Car and a Check of US$1,500,000.00.

Finally you have been cleared for payment and required to contact our payment and delivery offices with the details below for the delivery of your 2016/2017 BMW X5 and transfer of your funds respectively.

DELIVERY COMPANY IN CHARGE OF YOUR AWARDED 2016/2017 BMW X5

Company Name: Interworld Freight Inc.
Delivery Agent Name: Mr Martin Wood
EMAIL: interworldfreightcouri [email protected]

It is imperative that you include your Reference Number BMW- 255125HGDY03/23
as the subject on any correspondence with the courier company and the bank respectively to ensure timely response.

Please you are advised to write down the reference number and save it. {Important}

You are advised to comply with their terms of operation to ensure a hitch free transfer and delivery.

Once again; congratulations! we hope your winnings will be used to impact positive change on Mankind.

Regards,
Mike James
Fiduciary Agent.
Verification/Logistic Department
The BMW Lottery Inc.
Note. It’s important that you keep your winnings very confidential as we have received several bogus emails from persons using winner’s identity to press for claims. We have paid several impostor's who successfully present themselves as winners probably because they have winner's information and identity. It’s important you heed to this advice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts