BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am facing the same issue when pushing the car very hard i get check engine reduced power
The fault code is 2788
I tried almost every thing i changed the fuel pump and fuel filter
The fuel sensor that comes next to the front tyre on the left
Fuel computer
Flow meters
I fully reprogramed the car
Nothing did work
I am only having the 2788 fault code
Please any help would really be apreciated
Thank you

T

·
0 Posts
Did you try injector cleaner? What about changing injectors themselves?

·
Registered
217 Posts
On my (now sold) 335i, the same symptoms were caused by a faulty injector. Ended up replacing all... Good luck.

DME
Fault code 2788 - P2288
Fault text Fuel pressure, setpoint/actual-value comparison at maximum pressure
Fault description Injector Control Pressure Too High
Condition for fault identification Test condition: Fuel pressure too high at maximum pressure. Deviation between specified/actual pressure > 20 % (K_PKS_OBD_Q_MAX)
Terminal condition: Engine running
Voltage condition: Battery voltage > 10.9V (k_pks_obd_ub_min)
Condition for fault memory entry 4000 ms
Action in service 1. Carry out test routine
2. Check plug and wiring harness at fuel-pressure sensor, replace sensor as indicated
3. Check plug and wiring harness at the fuel pump
4. Check fuel filter and pump, replace as indicated
Fault effect and breakdown warning CC message
Engine speed limited
Reduced power
MIL after engine runs 2x
Driver information Warning light: MIL, EML, CC message, backup program
Service instruction None

·
Registered
437 Posts
They told me that fuel pump is not handling the tune .. And it is making this fault so what i m suppose to do!?

Is it the fuel pump? .. Is the fuel pump mostly done? I think was never replaced..
They told me also if i need to change it i need to replace fuel regulator also.

I have evolve tune some other suggest that i change the fuel pump with another bigger that handle high fuel capacity bar or something..

If i replaced the original oem fuel pump with another new oem does it clear this fault?

What we are 100% sure that the tune is making the fuel pump not to handle the fuel pressure.

Please help me what to do..

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
They told me that fuel pump is not handling the tune .. And it is making this fault so what i m suppose to do!?

Is it the fuel pump? .. Is the fuel pump mostly done? I think was never replaced..
They told me also if i need to change it i need to replace fuel regulator also.

I have evolve tune some other suggest that i change the fuel pump with another bigger that handle high fuel capacity bar or something..

If i replaced the original oem fuel pump with another new oem does it clear this fault?

What we are 100% sure that the tune is making the fuel pump not to handle the fuel pressure.

Please help me what to do..
While the tune might be related, it certainly is *not* possible that the fuel pump can't keep up with the demand of the tune. The stock fuel pumps (there are no aftermarket pumps for the S85) will push a 6.0 stroker on stock injectors to over 700HP. It absolutely will handle a stock displacement engine with any possible tune you can throw at it.

Now, it is possible the tune could have a parameter that isn't adjusted correctly and cause the fault, but not very likely. If your'e on the original pump, it may be worth replacing and definitely the filter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
ah bro, but i kept doing my research and i found an owner of an m5 e60 that had the same problem.

he said do the following l should go to our dealer of BMW here in lebanon beirut " Bassoul- hneine" and buy a fuel pump and fuel regulator, the fault will disappear and the car should run fine and more powerful than befor, he suggested as they told me before to replace both cause one could cause damage to the other if not replaced both. don't know reason he said that but he said he already replaced one and leaved the other and the fault kept showing.

i m going to change then soon they cost here 650 USD both.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ah bro, but i kept doing my research and i found an owner of an m5 e60 that had the same problem.

he said do the following l should go to our dealer of BMW here in lebanon beirut " Bassoul- hneine" and buy a fuel pump and fuel regulator, the fault will disappear and the car should run fine and more powerful than befor, he suggested as they told me before to replace both cause one could cause damage to the other if not replaced both. don't know reason he said that but he said he already replaced one and leaved the other and the fault kept showing.

i m going to change then soon they cost here 650 USD both.
Please update us once completed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
The moth
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing