BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 M5
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I failed the emissions test to day and here are the Codes but my check engine light is not on could it be burnt out and how much would it matter to get a OEM sensor ?

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Turn the key to position 2 with the engine off, is the check engine light lit? Need the answer to that to proceed. The other codes you should have noticed they are misfire codes with fuel turn off, you notice that. Once the fuel is cut you definitely feel the misfire for that cyl. It recovers by turning off the car completely and restarting, at least until it happens again.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
You have misfire codes on cylinder 1 and 7. Your codes might be old, first I want to figure out whether your car was inspected by an idiot or your check engine light actually is broken. The P0492 is enough to cause the fail and generally causes the light to go on after the second time the car is driven when the codes have been cleared.

·
Registered
2000 M5
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
🤣🤣 maybe he just was a idiot. it was at a emissions station.This was the second time I got it done.The first time did not have all these codes.My mechanic clear the codes after the FIRST time and said I should be good but that was last yr.He never indicated any misfire.I believe the only code then was the oxygen sensor

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
All I can say is you had misfire codes according to the readout.
I guess you don't have a list well now you do assuming this uploads and downloads. These are manufacturer codes, the over 1000 numbers only apply to BMW other manufacturers might use the code for something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 M5
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I can say is you had misfire codes according to the readout.
I guess you don't have a list well now you do assuming this uploads and downloads. These are manufacturer codes, the over 1000 numbers only apply to BMW other manufacturers might use the code for something else.
It’s not working bro but you don’t think these codes are accurate ..do you think I should get the parts still 🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It’s not working bro but you don’t think these codes are accurate ..do you think I should get the parts still 🤔🤔🤔
Dude, no.
Does your CEL works? Turn the key into Pos. 2 and see if it illuminates. Report back.

·
Registered
2000 M5
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude, no.
Does your CEL works? Turn the key into Pos. 2 and see if it illuminates. Report back.
Dude no what ,and Pos two meaning when the lights come on right... turning the engine On is pos 3 correct ? 🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
do you think I should get the parts stil
What parts are you going to get? You would be much better getting your cluster fixed by someone who knows and you can get him to fix your broken pixels at the same time. We are not done doing the basic tests. Do you know how to open the secret menu? Here is a link think it is test two but it tells you in this post run the cluster test and see if the check engine light works there.
Secret menu
There are likely no parts that are going to fix your problem but it should still be properly diag to confirm what is wrong. If you have P0492 and it is because of common carbon buildup it means the heads come off, that job costs more than your car is worth so you will likely have to code it out. That might be the problem you have now where some fool tried to code out that problem the wrong way and turned off your Light thinking that is how you do it. Some of the tools that have messed with peoples cars is beyond me. How long have you owned this car?

·
Registered
2000 M5
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What parts are you going to get? You would be much better getting your cluster fixed by someone who knows and you can get him to fix your broken pixels at the same time. We are not done doing the basic tests. Do you know how to open the secret menu? Here is a link think it is test two but it tells you in this post run the cluster test and see if the check engine light works there.
Secret menu
There are likely no parts that are going to fix your problem but it should still be properly diag to confirm what is wrong. If you have P0492 and it is because of common carbon buildup it means the heads come off, that job costs more than your car is worth so you will likely have to code it out. That might be the problem you have now where some fool tried to code out that problem the wrong way and turned off your Light thinking that is how you do it. Some of the tools that have messed with peoples cars is beyond me. How long have you owned this car?
the key thing you said was to get my cluster fixed and that’s what I’m goi g to do thank you! 💯

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
the key thing you said was to get my cluster fixed
Your cluster needs it's pixels fixed but the light might not be broken it might be coded off. In other words you could have a programing issue. Getting the cluster fixed and tested will easier than me going through the steps, so great idea.

·
Registered
2000 M5
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have misfire codes on cylinder 1 and 7. Your codes might be old, first I want to figure out whether your car was inspected by an idiot or your check engine light actually is broken. The P0492 is enough to cause the fail and generally causes the light to go on after the second time the car is driven when the codes have been cleared.

·
Registered
2000 M5
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your cluster needs it's pixels fixed but the light might not be broken it might be coded off. In other words you could have a programing issue. Getting the cluster fixed and tested will easier than me going through the steps, so great idea.
Im just going to get the parts to past emission no cluster but I’m still going to get the cluster fixed eventually tho

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Im just going to get the parts to past emission no cluster but I’m still going to get the cluster fixed eventually tho
You can't pass emmision with a none functioning check engine light. What parts are you going to get to magically remove the carbon build up you have. If you had codes for both banks then there could be a fault in the SAS system but maybe it is just that bad O2 sensor. I doubt it but maybe, but that should have been fixed long ago. That failing sensor could have caused some of this.

·
Registered
2000 M5
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can't pass emmision with a none functioning check engine light. What parts are you going to get to magically remove the carbon build up you have. If you had codes for both banks then there could be a fault in the SAS system but maybe it is just that bad O2 sensor. I doubt it but maybe, but that should have been fixed long ago. That failing sensor could have caused some of this.
If you look at the form again it says smog pump and sensor.The engine light must not be coming on if he still

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your air pump or smog pump as your expert calls it or you would have a code for both sides. Your money your car do what you want.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts