BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Check Brake Linings light came on recently and given my car has stoptech big brakes which it's had since 2005 and the sensors in not attached to the pads this was a bit shocking. I thought maybe it was the parking brake as I was told about 2 years ago that will soon need replaced. (I drive the car about 2000 miles a year at this point). I had the shop check it and they tell me the pads have plenty of life left, parking brake is good and the sensor even checked out good. They tried resetting the light but it just came back on. They suggested getting a bypass for the sensor.

So with that my question is simple. They say this just happens some time, but I've never heard of such a thing. Is this true? Is the bypass the only work around?

Also, while it was in it had some other work done IE the lower oil pan gasket, oil level sender, valve cover gasket, and pinion seal all replaced. I noticed on the way home in about 68 degree weather the car's oil temp was above what i'm used to seeing. Not supper high just past the 210 degree mark, but that's higher than normal in this weather on the highway. Is there anything that could have been done that would cause that? It seemed a bit odd to me and i'm hoping just a coincidence.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The oil level sender is also the oil temp sensor, the new one is either more or less accurate. When I replaced mine, I noticed the same slight uptick in temp readings.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. Thank you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Brake pad sensors can do that. They seem to measure something maybe resistance. On previous models you could just cut the old wires and twist them together crimp and the light/message would go, not on this model. First thing to do is clean the plugs really well, if that is not good, then just replace the two senders as your time is worth more than the work involved saving the price of one sender and switching it back and forth.
If they were just bunched up and hanging I would suggest you wrap them around in the little connector box.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake pad sensors can do that. They seem to measure something maybe resistance. On previous models you could just cut the old wires and twist them together crimp and the light/message would go, not on this model. First thing to do is clean the plugs really well, if that is not good, then just replace the two senders as your time is worth more than the work involved saving the price of one sender and switching it back and forth.
If they were just bunched up and hanging I would suggest you wrap them around in the little connector box.
My understanding based in what I was told anyway is they are good and that the only fix is the brake pad eliminator kit is that not right? If so where do you get it? Ecs didn't have it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I did not test yours but do the people that tested them really know? I have had the issue and put a meter across them and they conducted electricity, but replacing them cured the problem. I have no idea what the spec is but just because they pass electricity through them is not enough or twisting the wires together would work. Unless your tech is a BMW expert he may not know the fine details of these, they don't follow logic.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I don't think it's measuring resistance but it is sensitive to it. I it's a simple in series in circuit that goes Cluster->Front wheel -> Rear wheel->Chassis ground.

I've had similar problems as Sailor said clean the connectors on the body if you're having issue. I personally had to remove the connectors and replace the connectors before I fixed an issue I had. I chased it for 2 months and 3 wear sensors before I turned to the body connectors. Also you can check for open and resistance given the explanation as above, the rear has a one going to body ground check that then plug in the sensor and check the front on going to the rear it should be grounded. you can also short the line from the cluster to ground and make sure it goes out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Ferris
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing