BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a spirited drive this AM, my OBC flashed the "Check Brake Linings" warning... So how much time do you think I have before I really have to change my brakes. I am going to order some parts from pacific BMW this week, but I am just curious about any BTDT on how conservative the brake wear sensors are?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Many times I have read on the X5 board that the rotors were already damaged with no pad left in places. Rotors are generally replaced anyway with the pads under the full free maintenance period. Evidently, when the warning is displayed, you don't have much time, if any. It is just telling you to replace everything.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
CarbonBeast said:
After a spirited drive this AM, my OBC flashed the "Check Brake Linings" warning... So how much time do you think I have before I really have to change my brakes. I am going to order some parts from pacific BMW this week, but I am just curious about any BTDT on how conservative the brake wear sensors are?
The wear sensor gets chewed up when you have slightly less than 2mm of remaining pad thickness. Since the pads started life at about 12mm thick, that means you can expect 2/12 x 100% = 16.6% remaining life. So if you managed to go 30,000 miles before your dash warning appeared, you can expect another 6,000 miles before the remaining pad is all gone and you start to scrape steel backing plates against iron rotors.

In other words, while the low oil pressure light is something you need to deal with immediately, the "check brake lining" message is something you can take care of at your convenience.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DZeckhausen said:
The wear sensor gets chewed up when you have slightly less than 2mm of remaining pad thickness. Since the pads started life at about 12mm thick, that means you can expect 2/12 x 100% = 16.6% remaining life. So if you managed to go 30,000 miles before your dash warning appeared, you can expect another 6,000 miles before the remaining pad is all gone and you start to scrape steel backing plates against iron rotors.

In other words, while the low oil pressure light is something you need to deal with immediately, the "check brake lining" message is something you can take care of at your convenience.
Dave, thank you for the informed response! Now I don't feel bad about taking my time to get the parts via mail-order vs. the local stealer.

I am still trying to make up my mind on pad choice... I will give you a call tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
DZeckhausen said:

does it remain the same if you replace the brake pads with aftermarket ones, meaning really does that sensor still exsist, cuz i never relized we had that.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Jayson said:
does it remain the same if you replace the brake pads with aftermarket ones, meaning really does that sensor still exsist, cuz i never relized we had that.
Yes, it does. There are eight pads on your M5, but only two brake pad wear sensors. One sensor is located in the left front inner pad and the other is located in the right rear inner pad. The sensor is a BMW part and clips into a slot at the top of the pad.

If the sensor is triggered, it must be replaced with a new one purchased from your BMW dealer for about $15. The sensor comes with a harness and a connector that attaches to your car's main harness at a junction box located on your inner fender. A rear pad sensor is show below. The front sensor is shown above.

The BMW part numbers are:
  • 34-35-2-229-018 Front sensor
  • 34-35-1-163-066 Rear sensor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts