BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is important stuff.

Yesterday the bonnet on my E39 M5 came off its locks on the motorway. Thankfully the safety latch cought it, otherwise the situation would have been quite dangerous.

Due to cold weather / lack of lubricant the bonnet locks did not operate correctly after I recently opened the bonnet.

This is what the bonnet locks looked like: (What´s missing here...?)

The safety latch that saved the day:

The mating locking pin:

What the bonnet locks should look like: (Note the protruding locking element, which was not visible in the first picture)

Poke at the locking element with a medium size screw-driver:

Until the lock is visible like this:

Do this AT BOTH locks!

Next I´ll of course have to find the root cause of the jammed locks and fix that. Presumably some cleaning and lubrication will be needed.

Any tips regarding how to best do that will be greatly apreciated.

BR,

David

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just went to check my oil and hood did the usual "pop" from inside, but the latch on the passenger side grille will not release the hood. Based on search, etc I understand that there may be issues under the hood. My problem is that I do not know how to get the damn thing open..I have limited tool availability as I am 1500 miles from home as well as my home service advisor..I really would appreciate any thoughts that would help me out of my problem…thanks..S

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Just went to check my oil and hood did the usual "pop" from inside, but the latch on the passenger side grille will not release the hood. Based on search, etc I understand that there may be issues under the hood. My problem is that I do not know how to get the damn thing open..I have limited tool availability as I am 1500 miles from home as well as my home service advisor..I really would appreciate any thoughts that would help me out of my problem…thanks..S
I had this happen to my 530, but driver's side, I think it's the bowden cable. What worked for me was to grab the hood on the side that's unlucked (one hand near the headlight/grill joint, the ohter at the front portion of the fender, and repeatedly lift, shake as much as it would give. Then go back in the cabin and re-pop the hood latch, long and behold, the other side unlocks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I spent some time with it with a coat hanger and some spray lube yesterday and got it open..The problem appears to have been with the spring/engagement latch hooked to the front release..Anyway its all good. Thanks for the replies…S

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
kingston
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing