BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my dealership because I needed to get a couple of replacement parts for my M5. I wound up not ordering a single thing because everything was ridiculously priced compared to realoem (although I don't know if that's what I should go by).

But still, a clip that goes on the cabin filter box (64-31-8-371-465) was listed at $1.60 on realoem. At the dealership, it was $7.00. I'm good friends with the parts guy already, but I told him I could probably make this part out of a damn paper clip, thanked him, and left. I also wanted to order the Euro dash conversion and the Euro armrest, but after seeing the prices for the other two parts I wanted, I told the guy that I wasn't going to waste his time with all of the part numbers.

So, where's the cheapest place I can order the things I need? Is there a dealership somewhere that doesn't completely rip you off?

-Chris

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I just got back from my dealership because I needed to get a couple of replacement parts for my M5. I wound up not ordering a single thing because everything was ridiculously priced compared to realoem (although I don't know if that's what I should go by).

But still, a clip that goes on the cabin filter box (64-31-8-371-465) was listed at $1.60 on realoem. At the dealership, it was $7.00. I'm good friends with the parts guy already, but I told him I could probably make this part out of a damn paper clip, thanked him, and left. I also wanted to order the Euro dash conversion and the Euro armrest, but after seeing the prices for the other two parts I wanted, I told the guy that I wasn't going to waste his time with all of the part numbers.

So, where's the cheapest place I can order the things I need? Is there a dealership somewhere that doesn't completely rip you off?

-Chris
"Cheap" and M5 don't mix!:1:

Seriously, you won't generally get good prices at the dealerships to markup (service departments make the vast amount of profit that dealerships take in)

Try Rock Auto, Pelican Parts on line. There are others, but I have had good luck with both of these guys.

Cheers,
Brian:)

Reactions: Bimmerbear

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Cheap" and M5 don't mix!:1:

Seriously, you won't generally get good prices at the dealerships to markup (service departments make the vast amount of profit that dealerships take in)

Try Rock Auto, Pelican Parts on line. There are others, but I have had good luck with both of these guys.

Cheers,
Brian:)
I know that, but I figured some other dealership has to be less expensive. I remember reading that a lot of people ordered the Euro dash from one particular dealership that had a pretty good price on all of the parts.

Thanks for the recommendations!

-Chris

·
Registered
962 Posts
try www.crownauto.com BMW parts are 20% off list (I think) for internet orders - I've not seen any other cheaper places. Customer service is great - can talk with parts guys by phone to work out what parts you want and then just order online.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
+1 www.getbmwparts.com as they are around 20% off list. Really comes in handy if you need a new S62.:)

That part you wanted has a BMWNA MSRP of $2.75.

64318371465 BMW MSRP: $2.75 GetBMWParts: $2.20

Reactions: Bimmerbear

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Good information here. I've used Pacific BMW before (but I don't think they do online stuff anymore) and most recently, Crown Automotive for my short shifter. Crown was very good.

On another note, my local parts guy at Autobahn Motorcars here in Ft. Worth continues to tell me that the information on realoem.com is horribly outdated, especially the pricing. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check out www.getbmwparts.com They are a dealer service/parts department that spun off an online division. Great prices & service.
Just what I was looking for. I like to be able to order OEM parts right from my PC. Great find!

·
Registered
262 Posts
mileoneparts.com

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you are a BMWCCA member, you will get a discount on parts (Mine is 15%) too which might offset the shipping from getbmwparts. Then you can walk out with the parts and not have to wait.

getbmwparts are pretty good for the most part, but f'd up my last order and did not send it. I called and bitched and they realized it was not sent out... But that was after waiting like 4 days or so. Normally they are real quick.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
If you are a BMWCCA member, you will get a discount on parts (Mine is 15%) too which might offset the shipping from getbmwparts. Then you can walk out with the parts and not have to wait.
Be aware that many BMW dealers mark-up BMWNA MSRP, so it's wise to check the MSRP for the part at www.getbmwparts.com. Some dealers use a non-linear price mark-up system too (i.e. as opposed to just uplifting everything 10% or whatever), so trying to figure out what you should pay for a part was very difficult prior to easy access to the list prices.

·
Registered
123 Posts
that part was only $2.02 at crown automotive. I have ordered a couple of things from them and they are very helpful. I definitely recommend them. You have to use realoem.com to find the part number then punch it into the search, easy and inexpensive. For instance, I got the fuel filter for $37.50. I also bought some suspension parts and saved about $70 using them as opposed to others.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Be aware that many BMW dealers mark-up BMWNA MSRP, so it's wise to check the MSRP for the part at www.getbmwparts.com. Some dealers use a non-linear price mark-up system too (i.e. as opposed to just uplifting everything 10% or whatever), so trying to figure out what you should pay for a part was very difficult prior to easy access to the list prices.
I just ordered a set of OEM floor mats from them for $90 shipped. Nice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts