BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called the dealer who want about £250 per MAF! :3:

However, I have found an ebay source who sells them for £60 each and he tells me he'll do a pair for £50 each. When my order arrives and I've determined the quality of the item and service, I'll post the details here. I don't know how group buys work, but I wonder if there is scope to do one.

NB This could be good for Euro people as well, due to the weak pound at the moment.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Topper be careful, some of the ebay stuff is rubbish and the MAF's dont work.

I got my MAFS from performancecafe.com in the states for about $57 bucks each. They're VW ones but the sensor itself is the same bosch part as the BMW one. Worked a treat!

·
Registered
295 Posts
PerformanceCafe MAFS

BBS - I bought some MAFS from PerformanceCafe too but have not fitted them yet. I've hear various views over whether one should add a blob of silicone rubber to cover the 'extra' small hole that the VW PerformanceCafe MAFS seem to have ove rthe BMW Bosch ones. What did you do - if anything - before fitting your PerformanceCafe ones?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I didnt' do anything, just removed them from the VW housing and put in straight into the BMW housing. They just worked, no errors no management lights.

The engine hunted for revs at idle and did stall a couple of times while doing that for about 2 weeks while the ECU recalibrated.

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Neil - thanks - hadn't seen this link. My PC MAFS came in Bosch boxes and were purchased earlier this year. I'm hoping they have the temp sensors built in - will need to remove from the VW housings to find out!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Topper be careful, some of the ebay stuff is rubbish and the MAF's dont work.

I got my MAFS from performancecafe.com in the states for about $57 bucks each. They're VW ones but the sensor itself is the same bosch part as the BMW one. Worked a treat!
Bloody hell, what's wrong with people today? I replied elsewhere about the feedback for this supplier. This is what he wrote in an email:

Thank you for your enquiry, I can confirm that these units are OEM (like the majority of Auto parts these days) and made to the exact same specification, hence we are able to offer a 12 month or 30,000 mile warranty as standard with these units. We sell many thousands of these units worldwide because of
their popularity, price, reliability and so many so called genuine units seem to fail.

As can be seen from our feedback we pride ourselves not only on our cost effectiveness but in the unlikely event of a problem our service and response.

Ah, I've just realised he didn't exactly answer my question - are they made by Bosch? :haha:

Stop the press, looks like I have another email to fire off to him... :3:
</pre>

·
Registered
715 Posts
What makes you think I'm getting cheap rubbish? The seller has 6843 nett positive feedback, a 99.2% success rate. So I suggest instead of spreading FUD, let's see what happens here, thank you.

If I knew what FUD was I may be inclined to reply, as I don't, I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I knew what FUD was I may be inclined to reply, as I don't, I wish you the best of luck.
A quick Google search brings up many hits with the answer - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

Anyway, I have had a response from the vendor, telling me that "These units are manufactured by a third party, they are not bosch units"

Hence, they are not OEM as advertised in the auction, as we all know, the OEM units are Bosch.

So, thanks people for raising the flag of doubt, although you can probably see why I was mislead by the vendor telling me "I can confirm that these units are OEM".

I have been quoted £146.88 each by an independent Bosch supplier (around 40% less than the dealer!), and my search continues. No rush. :)

How do group buys work on the forum, as I'm sure that for quantities of 10+, we could get further discounts. There must be others like me who live in the UK and don't want to use VW MAFs (yes, I'm aware that most people who have tried them claim success).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Topper, count me in if you find OEM ones in the UK. I take it you have tried calling the Bosch main agents with the part number from the sensor? No rush (just prefer it before le mans - getting 120 ish on the MAF test:M5rev:. not tried cleaning them yet)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Topper, count me in if you find OEM ones in the UK. I take it you have tried calling the Bosch main agents with the part number from the sensor? No rush (just prefer it before le mans - getting 120 ish on the MAF test:M5rev:. not tried cleaning them yet)
Thanks for reading. I haven't even tried to get an official group buy going as there wasn't a lot of response to my "toe in the water" earlier in the thread. But I'll see who else responds by the end of the week.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I didnt' do anything, just removed them from the VW housing and put in straight into the BMW housing. They just worked, no errors no management lights.

The engine hunted for revs at idle and did stall a couple of times while doing that for about 2 weeks while the ECU recalibrated.

My experience also, but only a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok Stu........I'll be the first to put my name down for a pair. (Assuming these are the VW ones...????).
No, they will be Genuine Bosch items of the same part number Jim. I couldnt supply someone a different part number knowing the potential problems that a missmatched MAF>MAF transfer chart can potentially create.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts