BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Price is nice but I would be concerned with the quality of the bearing. I'd stick with FAG/Timken for E39 wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
How many miles do you have on yours? I need to do them soon
So far, I did probably 1,500 miles on it. No problem with them or any noises.

I figured if it comes with 2 wheel bearing for the price of one oem wheel bearing. I would buy again no problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So far, I did probably 1,500 miles on it. No problem with them or any noises.

I figured if it comes with 2 wheel bearing for the price of one oem wheel bearing. I would buy again no problem.
I have a full car lift so swapping them in my shop isn't too big of a deal. :flag:

Reactions: ///DeafM5

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cheap bearings can and will wear out sooner. I tried to save a few bucks on my old 540i and regretted it later.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Brand New Front Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly Pair for BMW E39 M5 | eBay

I have those on my M5. I have no problem and they come with warranty.

I've tried 3 of these and all 3 failed within 20 miles. I could hear a faint noise coming from them so I took them off and the bearing was shooting the grease out of the back on 2 of them. 1 of them did not leak grease but it did become crunchy. I vote OEM or FAG or SKF IE the OEM replacements. I'm surprised you haven't had any issues but I've had 3 fail...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
When those wheel bearings fail, I plan to buy FAG bearings. So far, no grease coming out or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hell with it, I'll just order a pair fag or timken (repackaged fag bearings for little but cheaper) next week. On top of that, I'll order the front end links which it appears to make clunking noises.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hell with it, I'll just order a pair fag or timken (repackaged fag bearings for little but cheaper) next week. On top of that, I'll order the front end links which it appears to make clunking noises.

Good. See how they look and sound when you take them off. I wouldn't go with cheap bearings on this car. No clue what the issue was with them or why they failed so quickly but taking the front bearings out 4 times was not funny.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Good. See how they look and sound when you take them off. I wouldn't go with cheap bearings on this car. No clue what the issue was with them or why they failed so quickly but taking the front bearings out 4 times was not funny.
I guess, it is that season when I go big on ordering most of parts to get over with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Interesting, so it looks like the seals are going bad. Is there any play in the bearing? can you wiggle it side to side?

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Very slightly yes. Mind you these are BRAND New. Also this is for 3 of them. 1 did not leak but it started sounding like it had sand in it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I suggest either SKF or Timken if you dont want to buy the original part. Avoid other brands unless you do a thorough research

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was talking to my independent mechanic about this the other day; I asked him whether he price shops for parts. He replied that he works with only a limited number of suppliers and often buys from the dealer in order to make sure he isn't buying knock off parts of unknown quality. He says he won't go with the cheap parts because he stands behind his work and wants to keep his customers. Some pay for it; some go elsewhere.

This flood of cheap knock off BMW replacement parts also is killing the resale value of our cars. When looking at used cars, it is no longer enough to see a pile of receipts showing that the seller had the car in for service. We now need to worry about whether the seller was picky enough to police the parts that went into their repairs.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
This flood of cheap knock off BMW replacement parts also is killing the resale value of our cars. When looking at used cars, it is no longer enough to see a pile of receipts showing that the seller had the car in for service. We now need to worry about whether the seller was picky enough to police the parts that went into their repairs.
I don't think low quality parts are anything new, but this does make buying a BMW even scarier :eek:

It is unseemly to see people who clearly can't (or won't) afford the proper upkeep on these cars making a mess of them :(

Maybe they would be more comfortable with a lesser e39 or even a lesser vehicle.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

1 - 20 of 31 Posts