BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Glad to hear that your car is getting sorted, albeit slowly. Hopefully you're tearing up asphalt shortly.

Sometimes I long for having another 120 ft/lbs of torque in mine but am reluctant to dump the $$$ into supercharging / all the required supporting mods because of stories like yours and dealing with my own problem children in the past. If I have any luck it's bad luck, and bad luck sucks with a 100k mile plus V10.
Believe me, I too have bad luck! It was never intended to be charged but came across a deal on a new kit and couldn't pass up! That torque and linear power delivery is UNREAL. You must do it if you can!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm sure the experts have checked this - or maybe it's not a thing on this platform - but I had some issues with my E46 like this that were the short/long term fuel trims being set. The alpha-n tune no longer used them (I think) and it wasn't updating them. Had to zero those out and I haven't had any issues since.
Yeah so I think this is a map/tune related issue or atleast I really hope so! Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait to hear back form my indy and go from there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Believe me, I too have bad luck! It was never intended to be charged but came across a deal on a new kit and couldn't pass up! That torque and linear power delivery is UNREAL. You must do it if you can!!
Seriously its so tempting. Just need to convince the wife or somehow make her think that it's her idea. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

The 20k I'd imagine it would take to get the kit, supporting bits, and installed would go a long way for getting another M car for the stable though.... both horsepower and cars are far too expensive of an addiction.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Seriously its so tempting. Just need to convince the wife or somehow make her think that it's her idea. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

The 20k I'd imagine it would take to get the kit, supporting bits, and installed would go a long way for getting another M car for the stable though.... both horsepower and cars are far too expensive of an addiction.
Well if you put it like that then yeah, another M car would be a good idea.... either way, make sure you have a spare room in the crib for when the Wife finds out it wasn't just an air filter, but a super charger :devil

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I think the Gen 2. is considered the VT2-675 kit as it has the one piece intake complete with couplers, filters and hardware that gives it the 25hp. They also have the Gen.2 heat exchanger and the complete 8rib beltdrive system.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think the Gen 2. is considered the VT2-675 kit as it has the one piece intake complete with couplers, filters and hardware that gives it the 25hp. They also have the Gen.2 heat exchanger and the complete 8rib beltdrive system.
That is interesting. The cost difference between the 2 kits is few hundred dollars. However, I emailed ESS who said the difference is almost $5k due to new intake manifold and other hardware. I found this insanely bizarre.

https://esstuning.com/s85-vt2-675-supercharger-system-gen-2/

Looks to me that the 675 kit manifold still has to halves to it. Also the newer kits have silicon charge pipes whereas I have (and prefer) the metal charge pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I am just going by what they told me as I have all the Gen 2 upgrades being installed in a few weeks along with a meth kit. The prices per part adds up to around 3.5k if I recall.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am just going by what they told me as I have all the Gen 2 upgrades being installed in a few weeks along with a meth kit. The prices per part adds up to around 3.5k if I recall.
Sorry for my ignorance here, I really thought I had replied. Apologies.
How are you getting on with the build?

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance here, I really thought I had replied. Apologies.
How are you getting on with the build?
The meth kit has been installed and the car is being picked up by ESS today (two different shops working on the car). I thought the car had already been collected but there seems to have been some miscommunication between who was delivering the car.

I will probably not hear back from ESS for a few weeks on the results as I am having an additional item installed that has not been unofficially released yet :wink

·
Registered
519 Posts
Does it happen on when engine is warm?

Is there a pattern?

etc..[/QUOTE]

I have these codes,

After replacing alt, battery and coolant sensor at inlet and testing sensor on block. What I have noticed is a weird growl coming from the engine bay, not consistent but at first I thought it was coming from vanos, now I’m thinking it’s from the alternator. Alternator first day charged at 14.2 now it will not go above 13.6. I registered the battery but found nothing for alternator/dme calibration.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts