BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my cars you change a fuse to make the 12v DC charger always be on. Can we do that on the M6?

·
Registered
190 Posts
As far as I know the answer is "No". My 3 series used to keep the cigarette lighter "hot" even when off but when I got my M5 4 years ago I was told the M5 and M6 do not do this. It seems to also be true for my new M6 vert. Why ... who knows but ti seems stupid to me.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
A simple option is to rewire the passenger footwell 12V receptacle with a hot 12v always on wire. Thats what I did and my BB and iPhone now have charging cables hidden under the trim exiting near the passenger seat for use (or in the glovebox if you prefer), for constant charging even when the car goes into hibernation

Just an idea and pretty easy to do by dropping the passenger footwell cover.

·
8,369 Posts
The answer is on page 93 of your owners manual.

"Cigarette lighter is only powered on when the engine is running or the ignition switch is in the On position."

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
In the olden days, it was considered a convenience (if not a necessity) to have a live cigarette lighter for lighting up when parked, such as when having a smoke after sex in the back seat. [Refer to fig. 1 below]

Today, as smoking has become more politically incorrect, and drive-in theaters have gone tits up, most lighter sockets are used for other purposes, or not used at all. So the manufacturers no longer provide it as a hot circuit.

Fig. 1

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
In the olden days, it was considered a convenience (if not a necessity) to have a live cigarette lighter for lighting up when parked, such as when having a smoke after sex in the back seat. [Refer to fig. 1 below]

Today, as smoking has become more politically incorrect, and drive-in theaters have gone tits up, most lighter sockets are used for other purposes, or not used at all. So the manufacturers no longer provide it as a hot circuit.

Fig. 1
Also, you'd need to get marginally creative with the back seat in an M6.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Also, you'd need to get marginally creative with the back seat in an M6.
The back seat ski pass-thru can be useful for certain orientations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts