BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
OK, I finally decided to tackle the charcoal filter problem and I figured I would take some pictures and describe how I did it for those who are interested.

Note by moderator: only North American market cars have charcoal filters

STEP 1:

Start on the driver side. There are 5 metal clips on each filter box that hold the cover in place. Insert a large flat-head screwdriver in the space between the filter box and the clip and gently turn the screwdriver. The clip will pop back. (See Figures 1 and 2) Repeat the process for each of the remaining clips.

STEP 2:

Remove the washer fluid filler tube by using a small screwdriver to depress the tab while sliding the spout upwards and off of the filter box cover. (See Figure 3)

STEP 3:

Remove the sensor cable. First, pull back the rubber boot that covers the connector. (See Figure 4)

Next, press in on the connector tabs and use a large flat head screwdriver to help unseat the cable connector, then pull off by hand. (See Figure 5)

STEP 4:

Loosen the clamp screw on the flexible tubing closest to the engine and slide the tubing off. (See Figure 6)

STEP 5:

You are now ready to remove the filter box cover that contains the charcoal filter you are going to remove. Gently wiggle the box cover until it separates from the housing and carefully remove the entire cover. Be careful not to disturb any other nearby cables, etc. The cover will come off completely and you can now examine the filter. (See Figure 7)

STEP 6:

Grasp the filter near the short edge as shown (See Figures 8,9,10) and pull the filter away from the cover. Try not to rip the filter, as it contains granulated charcoal, but don't worry if you do. Once you can grasp the edge of the filter frame, continue to gently pull the filter away from the cover by moving around the edges. You should now have the filter completely removed.

STEP 7:

Once the filter is removed, you will need to remove the metal clips that once secured the filter and now remain on the cover. With small needle-nose pliars (preferably the vice-grip type), carefully remove the clips by wiggling them back and forth until they come off. (See Figure 11)

STEP 8:

Thoroughly clean out the inside of the filter box cover with a damp cloth. If you broke the filter while removing it, be sure to be extra thorough with this step. Remove every particle of charcoal and other debris, because if you don't, it will end up in your engine - and that is bad!

STEP 9:

Be sure the orange air filter is properly seated in the filter box housing. DO NOT REMOVE THIS FILTER. (See Figure 12)

STEP 10:

Replace the cover on the filter box and CAREFULLY reassemble all of the things you removed in Steps 1-5.

STEP 11:

Repeat the same procedure for the passenger side, except there is one additional step. Remove the tube from the air box cover by pressing on the outer ring of the tube connector and pulling it away from the air box cover. (See Figure 13)

The entire procedure took me less than 30 minutes and is relatively easy for anyone who is a little adventurous. The only tools you need are a screwdriver and needle nose pliars.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing. This is great.

So......can you feel any difference in power?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Wow, great instructions! You should be a writer for the BMW manual.

So how much increase in power is realized? Any adverse affects for removing the filter?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not even driven it yet, so I can't say - I will first thing tomorrow and I will post my findings.

There should not be any adverse affects because the filter is not even included on the European models. It has something to do with US emissions standards and it prevents the backflow of fumes from the engine out the intake when the car is shut off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Let us know what the intake sounds like. That thing looks like a nice muffler. I'd probably remove them too but on this car I'd like to keep it sounding stock (quiet) and probably won't if it makes the intake a lot louder ...

·
Registered
69 Posts
hi

i am from South Africa,opened my air box up to check on the c/coal filter.i dont have one in there.i only have the paper one.do all M5's cum with a c/coal filter? is it visible wen u just open the top cover(lid) of the air box to check for the c/coal filter?

i removed paper filter to have a better look,but couldnt find it

please advise

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great post jfenley, but...

There is no reason to remove the charcoal filter by grasping the filter element.

Take note of the clip locations on the airbox cover in figure 10. With a broad flat head screwdriver pry between the plastic filter frame and the airbox housing. It is relatively easy to do and will allow you to reinstall the undamaged filters if/when necessary.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's only a US thing - emissions requirements.

Sasheen said:
hi

i am from South Africa,opened my air box up to check on the c/coal filter.i dont have one in there.i only have the paper one.do all M5's cum with a c/coal filter? is it visible wen u just open the top cover(lid) of the air box to check for the c/coal filter?

please advise

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I considered this, but my goal was to in no way damage the housing. The tolerances between the filter and the box are very tight and inserting anything between the filter box and the filter could cause some damage or marring to the housing. If you look at this picture, you will see the lip that runs around the outside of the filter (on the housing) - inserting anything in there will damage that lip a little bit and I thing that could compromise the seal when reassembled. Pulling the filter out the way I did didn't damage the filter at all. It bent the element just a little out of shape, but it was easy to restore to the original condition. Anyway, I have no intention of reinstalling the filter.

e6tme said:
Great post jfenley, but...

There is no reason to remove the charcoal filter by grasping the filter element.

Take note of the clip locations on the airbox cover in figure 10. With a broad flat head screwdriver pry between the plastic filter frame and the airbox housing. It is relatively easy to do and will allow you to reinstall the undamaged filters if/when necessary.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sasheen said:
hi

please advise
It's only on US Models.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Thank you so much. This is absolutely fabulous. You've obviously spent considerable time doing this and are very talented.

Gustav, this is exactly the type of post you shoud extract into an edited (no responses) thread of "Best M5 tips and tricks."

Again, greatly appreciated!

Tom

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Does US emission laws make BMW put in the charcoal filters?And if so does that mean all new cars require them?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MEnthusiast said:
Will this affect state emissions inspections?

Btw- thanks Gusta... I mean Kees :p
It's just to prevent backflow of fumes out the air intake ducts when the car is shut off, so it shouldn't affect any inspections whatsoever - others should verify this, but I believe this is correct.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great pic's.....!! thanks for picking up where i left off! Sorry guys!

but thats' how u do it..

=)

·
Registered
247 Posts
:lightbulb: Thanks buddy

Moderators, please make this a sticky... we should have a tech section where we can keep these kinds of posts to make them easy to find and reference.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 561 Posts
About this Discussion
560 Replies
234 Participants
NOXQS
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing