BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along the top and bottom both parts are disintegrating. I replaced the rear 3-4 years ago but the front is literally falling apart right now. Which parts and is there a DIY?

Thx

·
Registered
126 Posts
Real OEM is your friend:
Windshield cover top 51317166841
Windshield cover bottom 51717027083
Drip moulding left 51317045447
Drip moulding right 51317045448

Quick Youtube had this for replace the top trim.

Nothing I could find in a 30 second search for the bottom dealing with the E60, but I imagine it will go similar as this

Maybe check 5series.net? The mouldings should be the same as a regular e60.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Real OEM is your friend:
Windshield cover top 51317166841
Windshield cover bottom 51717027083
Drip moulding left 51317045447
Drip moulding right 51317045448

Quick Youtube had this for replace the top trim.

Nothing I could find in a 30 second search for the bottom dealing with the E60, but I imagine it will go similar as this

Maybe check 5series.net? The mouldings should be the same as a regular e60.
Yeah great, tried to do this today. just doing the screwdriver thing produced a crack in my windshield!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah great, tried to do this today. just doing the screwdriver thing produced a crack in my windshield!
Perfect, then your insurance coverage when they replace the windshield will replace some of that trim (I'm in the same situation). Make sure to do a vin search to get the exact type of windshield you have, mine came back as a green windshield, I'd never have known.

S354A​
Green windscreen green shade band​

You can do it here: https://decoder.bvzine.com/ you can even enter two different vins and compare build sheets.

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect, then your insurance coverage when they replace the windshield will replace some of that trim (I'm in the same situation). Make sure to do a vin search to get the exact type of windshield you have, mine came back as a green windshield, I'd never have known.

S354A​
Green windscreen green shade band​

You can do it here: https://decoder.bvzine.com/ you can even enter two different vins and compare build sheets.

Jennifer
Hmm, there's no windscreen listed when I decode mine.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been quoted different prices for windshields. It seems that if the car has the HUD as mine does it's a special windshield. And it seems only dealer can provide it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I remember seeing the HUD one in realoem. Good tho, you will get a genuine bmw replacement.
I can't believe the windshield cracked from slight pressure that I put with the screw driver to pop the moulding up. BMW glass sucks though. It pits too easily. My wife's Audis never pitted as much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That sucks about your windshield, I bought the trim parts and paid a glass guy to replace my trim because I didn't trust myself to not crack the glass, especially around the rear. The rear glass even aftermarket is stupid expensive, you really don't want to replace that.

I don't know if you have them around you but Safelite can get the HUD windshield glass which is much cheaper than from BMW, though it may take them a week or two to get the part.

I was quoted around 900 from bmw for just the glass and mandatory install kit.

580 total installed from safelite, if you're ok with not having the BMW roundel on your glass.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sucks about your windshield, I bought the trim parts and paid a glass guy to replace my trim because I didn't trust myself to not crack the glass, especially around the rear. The rear glass even aftermarket is stupid expensive, you really don't want to replace that.

I don't know if you have them around you but Safelite can get the HUD windshield glass which is much cheaper than from BMW, though it may take them a week or two to get the part.

I was quoted around 900 from bmw for just the glass and mandatory install kit.

580 total installed from safelite, if you're ok with not having the BMW roundel on your glass.
Safelite is coming on saturday to replace. Full price including mobile to home charge plus moulding plus tax is around $990.

I replaced the rear moulding myself a couple of years ago, it was super easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts