BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you have the four spoke airbag wheel, I think you can use the slightly smaller 4 spoke E36 Mtech steering wheel, and keep the old airbag. I want one for my Touring since mine has no thumb grips or M stitching and is as big as a bus steering wheel.

Regards

Alex

BURTON said:
What are the Options for a Guy like me who has a SRS type wheel?

:flag:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone point me in the right direction as my wheel feels to thin and big and is worn, so the leather is looking more like Plastic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
BURTON said:
Can anyone point me in the right direction as my wheel feels to thin and big and is worn, so the leather is looking more like Plastic.
Hi - I just got an LE and my 3 spoke wheel has an airbag but the rim is large and I think a smaller wheel would be better. Ideally something like the sterring wheel from the M3CSL?

With Airbag etc...

·
Registered
707 Posts
That standard wheel REALLY is sh1te isn't it!!??

Wouldn't it be possible to just bung on whatever steering wheel you want and do away with the airbag?

There must be a way to disable the warning light......

Ditching the airbag wouldn't worry me personally.

Could go for a loverly Personal steering wheel then..... lovelove

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
That standard wheel REALLY is sh1te

Ditching the airbag wouldn't worry me personally.
Well Rob, for me I would want some kind of Airbag control. I know an Airbag wheel would cost a mint! but it whether they could be controlled from an older system..

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
You CAN fit the new type CSL wheel with airbag on the older types - but its not a DIY job, AND the drawback is that you either has to blow just one of the two airbag stages or blow them both at once, a small resistor takes care of the issue that lits the SRS light. - its probably possible to switch SRS unit so solve this also but then its more like - better to buy a new car istead... , but otherwise all other functionality can be addressed. most work is actually to get the functions in the signal/light control arm (left one) to work, - and of course the steering wheel column has to be replaced with the wheel.... :)

And no - I have not tried the airbag functionallity - so I better put a disclaimer before getting sued, do not try this at you car !

·
Registered
63 Posts
540is said:
And no - I have not tried the airbag functionallity - so I better put a disclaimer before getting sued, do not try this at you car !
Sounds like you have some put some research into this, or know something as a BMW tech? I know its far fetched.. And hardly worth the effort. But a CSL wheel is nice!

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
I have not done it on my car - but I was involved in a swap on a friends car.

His aftermath was: I should have bought a new car instead :)

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
BURTON said:
Rather have one that would fit straight on!
If your car is a pre 91 then an e30 wheel will fit straight on as it shares the same steering column. If not then you're options are anything that fits an e36 column (provided you change the indicator stalk mounting bracket + either deactivate the airbag system or wire in the e34 adaptor to the e36 slip ring).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tubbs said:
If your car is a pre 91 then an e30 wheel will fit straight on as it shares the same steering column. If not then you're options are anything that fits an e36 column (provided you change the indicator stalk mounting bracket + either deactivate the airbag system or wire in the e34 adaptor to the e36 slip ring).
Actually thinking about it, your car has an SRS airbag so the e30 wheel almost certainly will not fit without changing the steering column.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you say SRS do you mean it has the SRS light on the steering wheel? Mine has Air Bag. But says SRS on the air bag cover.

Anyone have the sizes of the different wheels?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts