BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have few complaints about my M5, but there were two options I wish it had come with, one of which being the Silverstone interior. The car is solid black with brushed aluminum trim interior, currently (Anthracite ext) and am wondering if anyone has done this (either themselves or professionally), if it's as simple as a dye job, or if it's even recommended?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Complete swap of the interior shouldn't be too difficult, especially since you already have black carpets, and won't be needing to swap that out. Carpet would've been the only real "difficult" and time consuming part of the swap.

Finding spare silverstone may be another issue. You might get lucky if Adam has full set, shoot him a message. (Clemster)

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Reactions: jdauria

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll have to look at the pictures when I get home. For whatever reason I can't see the pics here.

So, is my best/only bet gonna be replacing the seats/door cards or can the leather be recolored?

Just trying to keep my options open. Thx!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't recolor the leather, not worth the time or mess. You can also sell your interior to make up some of the cost on the color you want to buy. Swapping everything is quite easy (this is from E46 M3 experience).

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't know if coloring the seats will last, especially with the usage on the driver's seat. I did the door cards on my 03 540i MSport. The inserts are removable.

Attachments

Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If you get the replacement seats from a same-year car (or same wiring harness) then its literally a 2 hour project to change everything out... even less if your experienced in removing the parts. Keep in mind also if you have folding seats or not, it will make a difference with replacement parts.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it sounds like new seats/door cards is the way to go. Clem, I'll check out your pictures when I get home.

Are the wiring harnesses for seats that different from year to year?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Complete swap of the interior shouldn't be too difficult, especially since you already have black carpets, and won't be needing to swap that out. Carpet would've been the only real "difficult" and time consuming part of the swap.

Finding spare silverstone may be another issue. You might get lucky if Adam has full set, shoot him a message. (Clemster)

Agree! Don't dye your existing interior. Purchase a set you want (from someone like Clemster who is fairly local to us), then you can always sell your set if you want to recoup most if not all of what you spent on this 'new' silverstone set. Or, you can keep both and swap back and forth as your mood/tastes change.

Also - Sent you a pm lurch09.

Reactions: Clemster

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
So it sounds like new seats/door cards is the way to go. Clem, I'll check out your pictures when I get home.

Are the wiring harnesses for seats that different from year to year?
Yes, all seats work in all years. Straight plug and play.

·
Registered
161 Posts
when you remove the seats and reinstall thwm are their any codes that need to be reset?
As mentioned, just disconnect your negative terminal on your battery before removing/disconnecting your front seats (so you don't get an airbag warning light) and reconnect after you have finished and plugged everything back in. Just be sure you can access the seat bolts before disconnecting the battery (may have to move seat forward/backward).

Also, the rears are pretty straightforward to remove - I followed a Youtube video when updating my rear parcel shelf (removed rear seats to access and take it out).

Good luck!

Reactions: lugnuts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Changing the interior is one of the best things you can do to your M. My 03 Sterling Grey came with the standard black nappa leather but wanted to upgrade the interior to a less subtle look, so I found a caramel set from another board member.

I changed everything from the front seats, rear bench, and door cards. Labor can be intensive as I recommend you categorize well all parts and take pictures as you will need them when you put things back.

Note: the traditional caramel interior usually has the dash, center console, and carpet in the same color.

See pics of the final product (sorry for the crappy iphone pics)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts