BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general consensus on changing down a gear. What I am asking here is when do most people change down if they are poodling along and not pushing the pace/ racing/ driving progressively?

With such a powerful engine it is easy to be lazy as the engine does not seem to struggle when driving slowly. I normally changedown at around 2000rpm.

Comments please.

Pip

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good question. If I'm using light throttle input I'll shift up to cruise in any given gear in the high 1,000's.

Notice that the 745 wil shift up to slog along, provided light throttle input is used, down below 1,500. It's not really slogging as only a slight touch the the thorottle accelerates into the 2,000 range in just moments.

Paul

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I drive a very underpowered car, so I need to be in the right gear always. This means that most decelerations are accompanied with a downshift.
With a car of the M5's power, I would probably loaf around a the highest gear that would still give me good acceleration. Being north of 2k would probably work best given the torque of the S62.
This is for around town driving, and when I had a torque monster of a car I kept the rpms low when putting from point a to point b. However, if I am in the mood for some fun, I put the car in a gear that will yield the best acceleration.
:cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts