BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the air conditioning condensor on my '95. Anyone done it with everything in situ? It looks very tight, someone told me it could be done by unbolting the rad and swinging it back :confused3

Anyone know what's involved?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Mike

There's a good peice on this subject in the Bentley Manual. You can borrow mine if you want?

Cheers

Brian

London Mike said:
I need to change the air conditioning condensor on my '95. Anyone done it with everything in situ? It looks very tight, someone told me it could be done by unbolting the rad and swinging it back :confused3

Anyone know what's involved?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ta Brian

The guy I told who about who charges the systems is booked to do it but I was just wondering if it is DIYable. The main concern was could it be done with the rad in situ. I have to get the electric fan out too as it's seized solid

I didn't even know there was a Bentley manual that covered our model

Picked up the condensor yesterday by the way, great recommend mate :thumbsup:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Mike

It looks like quite an easy job ....... take the bumper off and go in that way to disconnect the condensor. You then slide it up and out ........ Ta TAAA!!! My only concern would be any residual refrigerant etc.

The Bentley manual dosen't cover our car but goes as near as **** it.

An interesting thought. The condensor for our car also fits the 525tds, apparently they both have the same intercoolers?

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Brian

London Mike said:
Ta Brian

The guy I told who about who charges the systems is booked to do it but I was just wondering if it is DIYable. The main concern was could it be done with the rad in situ. I have to get the electric fan out too as it's seized solid

I didn't even know there was a Bentley manual that covered our model

Picked up the condensor yesterday by the way, great recommend mate :thumbsup:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Actually, it is quite simple to do.
Go to a garage and ask them to vaccum the system so you don't relese and toxic fluids into the air.
Then you take the bumper off and the kidneys (take care not to break the hoses to the light washers). Then you unscrew a few bolts and a crossbar in front of the condesor. Now yo have access to it.
Disconnect the condensor from the tubes that goes into the engine compartment at the lower left hand side (seen from the front). I suggest to change the dryer canister at the same time. It is located under the right hand side lights. In my case, the really hard bit was disconnecting the condensor from the rest of the tubing since the connections were pretty corroded. I had to use a hacksaw to do it.
When you put the new condensor in, don't forget to put some oil on the o-rings. This prevents leakage.
Make sure that you can adjust the A/C compressor "all the way" or the belt will start slipping when they fil the system to the specified pressure.
Go to a garage and get the system filled.

It took me about two hours to do including a lot of work to save the pipes in the car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ilundber's explanation is right.

I needed to tilt the coolant rad towards the top of the engine to allow clearance to replace the condenser, but it's about half-an-hours' work for the condenser and the same for the receiver/dryer.

UK cost-wise, £112+vat for a condenser and £50 for the dryer.

I believe the coolant rad and intercooler are the same as on the 525tds.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

I've really done very little work on my M5, don't even know how to get the front bumper off :confused3

I picked up the new condensor last week, £55 inc VAT. The guy has a job-lot for E34 M5's and he's selling them off cheap. Even if you dont need one this moment, it's gotta be worth buying one spare at that price. As he said, when they're gone they're gone....

Another great recommend from YewCorner :cheers:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mike - you pull the rubbing strips off and there are four 17mm nuts. Then ease the bumper forwards (have some carpet/curtains/lawn ready to put the bumper on) and disconnect the washer hoses and foglamp/temp sender connections. Done!

Refitting is reverse of removal (sic)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I thought I'd bought one here from a board member but it didn't work out...

I'm hopeful that I can free mine up, it can be turned just with the end of a broom handle and I can just turn it with power, it just needs to run a bit hopefully. They just dont get used for months on end and then sieze...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
AndyE said:
Mike - you pull the rubbing strips off and there are four 17mm nuts. Then ease the bumper forwards (have some carpet/curtains/lawn ready to put the bumper on) and disconnect the washer hoses and foglamp/temp sender connections. Done!

Refitting is reverse of removal (sic)
ooooh, that easy, eh?

Thanks for the info, maybe I can cure my leaking washer problem too....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
London Mike said:
Just had a quick look, how do the black strips come off? Prise the end out with a small screwdriver?
I use a butter knife so the trim doesn't get damaged. Get at them down the small gaps either side of the front number plate.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Andy, the guy who charges my system will do it for about £75 but I'd rather do it slowly myself as I have to get this Goddam fan working too. I'll do it next week.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
London Mike said:
Thanks Andy, the guy who charges my system will do it for about £75 but I'd rather do it slowly myself as I have to get this Goddam fan working too. I'll do it next week.
Drop me a line if you get any trouble - I think you've got my phone number anyway.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Andy, I need to drop you an email about the air valve thingy when I get a minute, I haven't forgotten :)

Maybe I'll give you a ring later

1 - 16 of 16 Posts