BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing new, just changed out some fluids today. Almost all of the DIY's I have found do not have pictures. Not that I took a lot, but I have a couple....

TRANSMISSION OIL

1. Put the front of the car on ramps and jacked up the rear to put it on the jack stands.

2. Removed the plastic undercarriage cover.

3. Removed fill plug with a 6 point 17mm socket and a regular old 1/2" drive breaker bar. Wasn't too bad really....

4. Removed drain plug with the same tools and drained tranny.

5. Replaced and tightened drain plug.

6. Filled tranny with Royal Purple Synchromax Tranny fluid. My transmission took the full 2 quarts for some reason. I put 2 in it, and it didn't seep out the fill hole yet. Huh? So I went to Jegs and picked up one more quart. It took an addition 2 pumps from the hand oil pump I bought at Jegs for $10 on my initial visit. (Nice little pump btw) My guess is the oil in the pump itself would have been enough to fill it, but I had no way to push it through without more oil.

7. Replaced fill plug and tightened.

8. Replaced plastic undercarriage cover.

DIFFERENTIAL OIL

I "made" the correct tool for this job. I cut a 14mm allen wrench I bought at Harbor Freight to about a 2" length. Easier and cheaper than going out and getting a special socket/tool.

1. Removed fill plug with a 1/2" breaker bar going to a 6" extension, OVER the exhaust pipe to a 14mm socket on the 14mm allen attched to the drain plug. (Follow me) Wasn't really that tight.

2. Removed drain plug with the 14mm allen and a 14mm box end wrench. I did the old 2nd wrench on the first wrnech trick for more torque. No way to explain this, if you are handy with tools, you know what I am talking about. Drained Diff.

3. Replaced drain plug and tightened.

4. Filled Diff with Royal Purple Max Gear SAE 75W140 gear oil. It took about 1.5 quarts. Before filling, I pumped 3 FULL pumps of gear oil through the pump into my drain pan to clear out the tranny fluid that was left in the pump.

5. Replaced fill plug and tightened.

All I can say is "Holy smooth shifting Batman!" I thought my tranny shifted more smooth after putting the 545 SSK on, this thing is like BUTTER now.

Pics....

Tools used and oil.....

Tranny - the drain plug is on the bottom of the tranny, the fill plug is about 1/3 of the way up the DRIVER'S side of the tranny.

Diff. - the fill plug is directly over the drain plug on the PASSENGER'S side of the Diff. (Bad camera angle I know, sorry, best I could do)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Gotta love that pic with the "lifetime oil" label!

Reactions: Ngtmare

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Cool! Thanks a million for taking pics with this one :)

Mods, can you add it to the DIY please?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for the write-up :) I'll be following these steps soon.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man youve been all business lately!
Yeah, the wifey isn't too happy about the amount of time I have been spending in the man cave (garage), time to slow it down a bit. I am just trying to get things in line before that show in ATL in April. I want to be sure MCINCO is in top shape for the trip down and back...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Great post thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tim-tim...

Great write-up. Did you have any probs with shifting or just decided to do this for kicks? I have a little bit of a *crunch* going into 2nd esp when it's cold out. Just wondering if you had anything like this...I'd love mine to be shifting like buttah...(ain't that bad now tho cept for the cold crunch)

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Great work!

The only suggestion I have for folks is that there is no need to cut off a 14mm allen key. Simply go to Autozone and get a 14mm hex socket (which is a socket with a 14mm hex key in it) and press the hex part out. Autozone sells a set of 3 hex sockets (14, 16, 17mm maybe?) for about $10.

d-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tim,

Nice writeup! What hand pump did you use for the fillup?

·
Registered
204 Posts
My hex key was too long and I couldn't get it to clear the exhaust (on the drain plug). I can get the fill bolt, but not the drain.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Tim,

Nice writeup! What hand pump did you use for the fillup?
Thank you,

I didn't really look at the package very close, I already threw it away, sorry. I can take a picture of the pump and post it up tomorrow if you would like. I bought it at Jegs, pretty much the only thing they had for me to use. It was only like $10....

Tim-tim...

Great write-up. Did you have any probs with shifting or just decided to do this for kicks? I have a little bit of a *crunch* going into 2nd esp when it's cold out. Just wondering if you had anything like this...I'd love mine to be shifting like buttah...(ain't that bad now tho cept for the cold crunch)
My shifts were pretty notchy and "crunchy" mainly from 1st to 2nd. I changed my B&M SSK out for the 545 SSK which helped a little bit. After I doing this (tranny fluid), it is VERY smooth. The main reason I did it iwas becuase I just bought the car in Dec and like to get a baseline for all of my fluids and general maintenance items. That way I KNOW they have been done. Car has 46K miles, so I figured if it hadn't been done, it is about time....

Up next is the brake fluid, power steering fluid, and radiator fluid. Then I will move on to the filters, bushings, and some sensors. Most of my true "mods" will be cosmetic. The car is plenty fast and handles well enough for me. I just want to keep it in great OEM running condition.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Great write-up. Anyone know the torque specs on these various fill/drain plugs? AFAIC that's the only thing missing here. I'd look it up, but I'm TIS challenged.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
...get a 14mm hex socket (which is a socket with a 14mm hex key in it) and press the hex part out.
So Doug...once you push out the little hex part how do you actually use it? Can't the socket/hex head bit be used w/o butchery?
Forgive my ignance...haven't looked under the car yet and the pics aren't sharp enough for me see what's up.

This looks like some springtime fun! cherrsagai

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Oh and for the record...how much fluid is the tranny and diff. actually supposed to take on refills? OP you look shocked by some of the amounts used.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Oooh one last question. OP are those fluids auto parts store accessible...or mail order stuff?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great write-up. Anyone know the torque specs on these various fill/drain plugs? AFAIC that's the only thing missing here. I'd look it up, but I'm TIS challenged.
Thank you,

I did not use a torque wrench. I read somewhere on this forum that they are tapered threads, so hand tight will suffice. I am sure there are torque specs somewhere.....

Oh and for the record...how much fluid is the tranny and diff. actually supposed to take on refills? OP you look shocked by some of the amounts used.
Tranny took just a smidge over 2 quarts, diff took just about 1.5 quarts. Again I read that the tranny should not have even taken 2 quarts, but mine took OVER 2. I was just suprised. Just remember to flush out your pump with some fluid before filling your next component.

Oooh one last question. OP are those fluids auto parts store accessible...or mail order stuff?
I bought them at my local Jegs store about 3 miles from my house....

1 - 20 of 205 Posts