BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

did a rod bearing job ower the weekend. Glad that i did it now, all upper bearings was worn out and bottom bearings had slight marks allready.
Changed allso center tie rod. Here some pictures.

All parts.

First and second oilpan out, and oilpump.

There they are waiting :p

New bearing.

New bearings and bolts.

All old bearings, poor quality (phone). Vantaam5 has better pics, at least i think so.

Was good call to change them, my car has 212000km.
Thank you Vantaam5 for your tech support ;)
Was pretty busy weekend but now they are done and i have piece of mind. Now iam paranoid did i do everything right hahaha

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
How was the idler arm bushing to replace? Ive had my bushing sitting in my room for the past 3 weeks just lazy lol. Congrats on the rod bearing job! I think i may be tackling it in the winter not sure yet. Damn Raikku, I wish you lived closer so i could use you as my technical support guy :)

Reactions: Burnout_187

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How was the idler arm bushing to replace? Ive had my bushing sitting in my room for the past 3 weeks just lazy lol. Congrats on the rod bearing job! I think i may be tackling it in the winter not sure yet. Damn Raikku, I wish you lived closer so i could use you as my technical support guy :)
Cut old bushing out and press new bushing in, vóla hiha

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
hey vantaa did you forget about my pm

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Or alternatively, if you don't see any sign of copper maybe it was too early?

I think it is better to wait until you can hear them and they spin in the rod or make a new big oil drain hole in the block...:rolleyes:

Some of the upper bearing shells were wearing on the last layer before the copper...

From there it is on these engines a short way until disaster strikes...

So good call.Period.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
212k KM = 130k miles. Seems about the right time, maybe earlier depending on the car, how it was driven.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
how do you know what size replacement bearing shells are required - plastigage/micrometer-?
There is only one size...parts are sold in halves (red and blue). From that, one can assume that BMW doesnt expect the crank to wear significantly smaller than the 49mm shells they spec.

Edit: I stand corrected....there are 3 sizes, just not advertised that way in the BMW ETK

1 - 20 of 31 Posts