BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was one of guys that joined the GB from a local shop Performance Technic. If you're wondering about them, they're awesome and it's probably my 10th time visiting them for maintenance work. If you're not too far away, it's worth the drive. Super nice group of guys that really take care of your car and explain everything to you.

Currently I'm at 78k miles and prior to this change yesterday, my car was running I would say in tip top shape. I've never had any misfires, rough idling, or any signs of spark plug failure. I bought the car with 32k miles and have never done plugs until today. Why? Because I never felt the need to except for the interval says so AND Randy struck an awesome deal on this GB I cannot pass up.

If you look closely at my plugs at the pictures attached, they're actually very clean and the master tech was even shocked at how clean they are. He asked me if I did them within the past 20k miles. I said no. I took a picture of all 10 plugs and 1 picture of the worst one of them all up close.

I honestly didn't think I needed to do them, but if you're on fence about this, I'd say do it as a preventative. My car idles a little smoother, but I love having that piece of mind also.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
mine were similar, but the gap had opened up about 5 thou if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine were similar, but the gap had opened up about 5 thou if I remember correctly.
What gap? You mean the gapping of the plugs? I didn't ask them about this and just assumed no gapping necessary if that's what you're saying.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Not too charred up, but yes, great to have the peace of mind knowing that you have fresh plugs installed!

Glad you were able to take advantage of the group buy deal, Dan! :)
Sorry I couldn't make it today for my spark plug change...last minute business trip out east. Weather was awesome today, actually. High 60's. First day this trip with no rain lol

You should post a picture of the other beast which was on the lift next to yours ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, the spark plug gap. The new ones are pre-gapped to 0.032" the old ones had worn to 0.038" or so after 35000miles with no more nice sharp edges like the new ones.

What gap? You mean the gapping of the plugs? I didn't ask them about this and just assumed no gapping necessary if that's what you're saying.

·
2,149 Posts
The look of a plug isnt always the tell tale sign.. You want full spark so the plug can support full timing the engine asks for, plugs that are old and worn, might work good, but might not have the punch to get you to the max timing the car wants under WOT. This is why guys that are stock should def stick to the 37K miles change mark, guys who are modded should lower that interval and change them sooner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts