BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just to inform you of a nice expirience - i hade a very noissy E39 M5 and i was communikating for month with BMW about it - well the short version, BMW do not reconice vanos as a commen problem, so your on your own, some has been changed when the car was new - well anyway, i desided to spend the money, that hurt and it would have been nicer to have spend it on 19" Hartge Wheels or more power, but the world i cruel somtimes. But thay are change now and it is like geting a brend new car, just so you know if you are considuring doing it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Always nice with more swedes here! Where are you located in Sweden?
Very glad the Vanos replacement worked well. Did you notice any engine performance improvment?

For reference this is a thread with more Vanos info:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54994

David

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi DavidS

Well i´m located right next to you :) in Malmö, i must warn you i´m not born swede :-( i´m Dane, but anyway you are wellcome to drop by.

It is wery difficould to say about the performance, why i at the same time instaled KN filters and one of my own aftermarket "Racetech" exhaustrear silensers on the car, and the soundpicture changed radicaly no sound from the vanos and a deep V8 sound for exhaust - that can also make it feal faster and it dos feel a bit faster.

DavidS said:
Always nice with more swedes here! Where are you located in Sweden?
Very glad the Vanos replacement worked well. Did you notice any engine performance improvment?

For reference this is a thread with more Vanos info:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54994

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Thanks, I will! Sounds like you have a very nice M5 now.

Well, I bet you like the Swedish car taxes better than the Danish? ;-)

(In Sweden US$ 300 registration fee and 25% VAT, in Denmark 179% of car value in registration fee + VAT)

There are a lot of posts here about K&N and MAF contamination problems...

David

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thats right - the Danes are very heavely taxed, but that was just a nice benefit when we moved, our kids at going to school and day care and talk bouth languech now - worse with me i´m alittle slow with the swedish - had to get fast cars to compansate for that :)
What kind of problems mine are just the standard inboks not open filters ?

all i have talked to about this car haven´t dared to get the power testes some say that thay allmost never have 400 HP compaiered to the old E34 3,8 that almost had the 340 HP or alittle more (our prior car) - i intend to try it out soon. I need to know (kind of a desise)

DavidS said:
Thanks, I will! Sounds like you have a very nice M5 now.

Well, I bet you like the Swedish car taxes better than the Danish? ;-)

(In Sweden US$ 300 registration fee and 25% VAT, in Denmark 179% of car value in registration fee + VAT)

There are a lot of posts here about K&N and MAF contamination problems...

David

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Dyno

The oiled K&N filters are known to cause contamination of the MAFs. If there is no oil on your filters that will not be a problem.

The E39 M5 is very difficult to test accurately on a Dyno as it is extremely heat-sensitive. To get full power you more or less need the airflow from going at high speed on a road to cool the engine room.

Dyno-testing with the bonnet (hood) open helps a bit, as does having a really big fan blowing onto the MAF housings and plenum air box.

Personally, I think spraying a fine water-mist from a garden hoose onto the engine, radiator and MAFs might help lower the temperatures. Haven´t tried it yet.

David

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Dyno

When i replaced te old filters thay whare like new thay have been driven for atleest 20000 km and need to be dusted of and you can sell then as new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts