BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back from the shop. It was out with a bad fuel pump, oil pump, and worn rod bearings. The worn rod bearings were due to the bad oil pump. I was very fortunate to catch this problem when I did as my mechanic told me of one of his fellow mechanics that was not as fortunate as I and ended up paying over 3k for parts alone. These parts were all at cost. Evidently the oil pumps in the s38's have a life expectancy of 80-100k miles. Then they fail due to normal wear and tear causing tollerances to excede acceptable levels. My recomendation to high millage s38 equiped m5 owners is to replace your oil pump if it hasnt already been done. Do not wait for it to go out as this will cause damage to your engine. Price for the oil pump is between $300 and $400. The real money goes into labor. The subframe has to be dropped inorder to pull the pan to get to the oil pump. If you have the tools neccesary to do this yourself then the pump swap itself I dont believe is to difficult. Just thought I would give the heads up.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here are some pics of the damage to the rod bearings. i was very lucky that this is all the damage the motor had....that i know of.hmmm

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Now you mention it. I picked up my previous E34 at about 78k miles in 1999 and it had had a whole lot of work done on it from the invoices i saw. New pistons, linings, oil pump etc ... indicative of some earlier major oil starvation problem. I got a newish engine so no complaints there, brilliant for another 40K miles before I sold it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike_Rock said:
Now you mention it. I picked up my previous E34 at about 78k miles in 1999 and it had had a whole lot of work done on it from the invoices i saw. New pistons, linings, oil pump etc ... indicative of some earlier major oil starvation problem. I got a newish engine so no complaints there, brilliant for another 40K miles before I sold it.
yeah it sounds like the oil pump probably went out and the other damage was the result.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts