BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month or so I've been hearing a squealing from at least one the brakes at any speed and any braking force. I took the car to the dealer, they charged me 75$ just to tell me that the brakes are fine there's still 9mm left in the front and 10 mm left in the back. The brakes don't feel right to me, I'm debating to go to a different dealership, I really want to change the brakes, has anyone else had a similar situation?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Check out this website...

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Dave Zeckhausen is a board sponsor and a bit of a resident expert on brakes. He was kind enough to spend some time on the phone with me explaining the bedding process, incompatible materials, etc.

My point, and relevance to your question, is it is possible you are not braking hard enough to leave any pad material on the rotors, and essentially have pad against metal rotor (and hence a squeal). I don't want to bore you with all the details if you aren't interested (you can read through his website). But the bottom line is if you drive conservatively all the time and scrub off the pad material from your rotors without ever replacing it (through bedding), you could end up with a squeal. If your rotors are all shiny (no bluish tint), try bedding the brake pads in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
wow. i never knew that was an actual documented process. i've done it since i was younger and felt the improvement in performance and longevity of my brakes. it started out as trying to get rid of the squeal. I have done it on all my cars since and it's proven well. "bedding" haha, now i know. and knowing is half the battle. hahah. i need a drink.

·
Registered
102 Posts
a little off the original topic, but has anyone upgraded the brake lines, fluid, and pads? i'm looking into doing this and found a kit from Stoptech-Stage 1. i don't know the stock setup specs, and am wondering if this would work. anybody been here?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Excellent information, perfect for me to bed-in the brake on my new car. Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
a little off the original topic, but has anyone upgraded the brake lines, fluid, and pads? i'm looking into doing this and found a kit from Stoptech-Stage 1. i don't know the stock setup specs, and am wondering if this would work. anybody been here?
I went with stainless steel lines picked up from Zeckhausen (I really don't work for them!) to give me a more firm pedal 'feel'. I believe they were StopTech brand. I like that firm response. It also really helps with heel-toe downshifting if you have a 6-speed, although I have a SMG and that's irrelevant.

Stock fluid is fine unless you track your car, in which case something like Motul 600 or other higher temperature fluids helps prevent boiling. The stock fluid is actually pretty good by street standards. If money isn't an issue and you want the best, put in Castrol SRF. To compare in liters, BMW is about $10 per liter (comes in 12oz bottles), Motul is about $30 per liter (comes in half liters), and Castrol SRF is about $80 per liter.

For pads, I don't know any option for the E60 M5 (stock calipers) besides the Pagid Yellow, which you do not want on the street. They squeal REALLY bad, but are a great track option (at $750 I might add).

Please post any information you have about this StopTech 'kit'.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looking at the kit again, it doesnt apply to the e60 m5. Only brake lines are available. I'll get those. and some fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts