BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I washed my E39 M5 and dried it off with a brand new chamois that I bought. I was told that in order to keep my chamois soft I have to keep it wet. Well, I did and now it has dark spots all over it. Is that mold and is it supposed to happen?

Thanks,

AndreyR

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Chamois are old-tech and you should really switch to microfibers or waffle-weave towels for drying your car after a wash. Those black spots could very well be mold and I don't think you're supposed to keep it wet all the time, just dry it and keep it in an airtight container when you're not using it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I swear by good chamois towels.

Microfibers are great for the interior and glass, but chamois' are great for the exterior so long as you keep them damp and continuously squeeze the excess water out.

Black spots could be from area you missed washing, or perhaps rubbing up against a tire. Also, there may have been some tar on your paint which happens quite frequently. I see tar spots all the time on my silver M5.

In the end, I suppose the type of towel is just user preference.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Various rubber parts on the car can transfer black and sometimes bluish colors to a chamois. And, a chamois can wear out. As they age, they also leave chamois "lint" on the car. There are other ways to dry your car. I use ionized water and let it drip dry. No water spots, no lint, and it saves time.

:M5launch:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts