BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: I am considering a front bumper reconditioning to fix road chips and a small hairline crack on the passenger side, and then having a paint correction done before installing a PPF on the bumper and hood and then a 9H ceramic clear coat over the whole car.

Does anyone have experience with installing PPF or ceramic paint protection, and would you recommend one, neither or both? The car's paint is actually in pretty good shape now (except bumper) but I'd like to keep it that way forever.

Henry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Been considering the same so have done the research and spoken to the painter, a range of detailers and PPF installers.

The ideal process for ultimate protection is

• Paint. Let it cure for 6 weeks minimum, longer if cool climate.
  • Detail
  • PPF. Ideally you want a 'bulk' installation as opposed to template, but budget dependant. Ensure you use a film that can accept a coating. A lot do, but make sure. Allow a couple of weeks to cure.
  • Then apply your choice of coating

A couple of caveats.

• you can't apply PPF over coated paint. It won't adhere. The coating would need to be mechanically removed first, which is why I suggest getting the coating done last.
  • all PPF installers will disclaim that film applied over repainted panels, especially bumpers, comes with some risk that it will lift paint when removed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
PPF first then any wax or coating you want on top of it.

I did this for my front bumper several years ago. I was never a fan of PPF until I saw how good it held up and it is nearly undetectable at a distance if done correctly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I recommend you to watch this video (not affiliated).

I've been watching them since 2016 or something. They've been around for much longer than that.
Get them to do whatever detailing for you.

Cheers,
Gabe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, this is all very helpful. In the process of going through this, I learned that I'm probably going to need to replace the bumper, which apparently has a hairline crack that is not recommended to be fixed. So I'm going to just buy a new bumper, have that painted, wait a few weeks, have the PPF and Ceramic put on. It's going to end up being a big project but seems like the right thing to do for the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys, this is all very helpful. In the process of going through this, I learned that I'm probably going to need to replace the bumper, which apparently has a hairline crack that is not recommended to be fixed. So I'm going to just buy a new bumper, have that painted, wait a few weeks, have the PPF and Ceramic put on. It's going to end up being a big project but seems like the right thing to do for the car.
There's no reason a bumper cover can't be repaired - there are specific procedures and products for exactly that purpose, and any quality body shop should have no problems with doing that. I would much rather have an original BMW bumper cover repaired than install an aftermarket bumper cover due to the generally poor fitment of most aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no reason a bumper cover can't be repaired - there are specific procedures and products for exactly that purpose, and any quality body shop should have no problems with doing that. I would much rather have an original BMW bumper cover repaired than install an aftermarket bumper cover due to the generally poor fitment of most aftermarket parts.
I was actually going to get an OEM one below. The body shop said that because the crack goes all the way to the edge, BMW's position is that it would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was actually going to get an OEM one below. The body shop said that because the crack goes all the way to the edge, BMW's position is that it would need to be replaced.

That sounds a lot like most panel shops......essentially they're saying they don't want to spend the time/labour fixing ad prepping an existing part for the price of the hours taken - VS sourcing a new part that requires minimum prep, which they can source from a supplier and put a margin on top. It's just laziness and whatever is most efficient for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds a lot like most panel shops......essentially they're saying they don't want to spend the time/labour fixing ad prepping an existing part for the price of the hours taken - VS sourcing a new part that requires minimum prep, which they can source from a supplier and put a margin on top. It's just laziness and whatever is most efficient for them.
Yeah, I'm actually going to buy it on ECS and then bring to him to paint and fit though. I agree if he were trying to buy the part himself that would look like an upsell. I've got enough chips from highway driving + the crack that it feels worth the $800 part to just start fresh....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts