BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a small problem with the car's central locking (six-speed E34) - would appreciate if anyone can advise on the problem/solution.

Story is this - the BMW 3G alarm is dormant, i haven't got round to getting a remote for this programmed yet so am locking/unlocking the car manually with the key. Here we go - key in the driver's door pops up the buttons and unlocks all the doors and boot but NOT the front passenger door, to let a passenger in i have to pull up the passenger button with my hand to unlock the door. To lock the car - key in the driver's door locks everything BAR the passenger front door which remains button up and unlocked. However, I note if i do the locking/unlocking from the passenger front door everything is fine, everything locks/unlocks, the problem only happens from the driver's door. And lastly this is sometimes sporadic - now and again it all works fine from the driver's door but only maybe 1 in 25 times!

Can anyone suggest the problem here - a fault at the driver's lock, a fault in the passenger's lock, or something to do with the central locking ECU which i think is somewhere on the car!

Obviously i'm keen to fix this myself (if possible!) and avoid the £72 per hour labour charge at local BMW agent.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
756 Posts
sounds like a sticky c/l solenoid,try cleaning the connections on the solenoid:)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd start off with the passenger door. Take the trim off and have a look at the solenoid. Determine if there's any life in it. If suspect then I'm sure we'd find an E34 in the Persley scrap yard. E34's are normally plentiful.

The other strong possibility is the wiring. From memory the door cable connects to the 'A' post via a multi-pin connector (under a rubber boot). My central locking problems have always been in this area. Its certainly worth a look for water ingress or corrosion.

I have a spare central locking ECU. Pop round if you want to try it however I have absolutely no idea where it lives on the M5 (it was bought for and E30).

Craig

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys - as suspected some investigation is required, no doubt it'll be something small. I'm right in the middle of a house move just now so will get round to it at some point, and Craig will catch up eventually to compare cars!

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
99% its just the door lock motor in the passenger door,
its straight foward to replace yourself, it just requires some
neat handywork to get inside the door !
Have changed a couple over the years on E34's, they're quite
a common failure.

regards,

Alan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1990 M5 -- it is LHD, but still the problem was with the passenger door.

After 2 hours of fiddling with the door card removed, some WD40 / RP7 (or whatever spray lubricant you use) and most importantly, a 2nd helper to be on the opposite side of the car, working the key in the door lock, all that was required was a little fine adjustment to the lock frame.

Be careful with the frequency of locking / unlocking, as if your helper deadlocks the door & activates the alarm mode (2nd position in lock) too many times quickly, the central locking will freeze for several minutes.
This is time to have a break and a drink/refreshment then back into it.

It was frustrating & awkward, but for some reason adjustment was needed, just 'a bee's appendage' worth of adjustment to be technical.

Now the central locking works as it should on all doors.

Moving house is NOT the right time to try to do this. Just be a gentleman for a little longer and unlock the 'passenger' door first !!

cheers.

UltimateM :typing:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha ha nice one UltimateM !! My high maintenance bint won't get in the car as A. it makes her feel sick and B. it's old. Women !!

I'll get the screwdrivers and WD40 out one weekend and see what happens !!

Cheers for the advice guys.

David.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts