BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About four weeks ago I had a little fender bender. An elderly gentleman (he was 72, I'm only 66) gave me a glancing blow to the right rear causing a destroyed tail light, bumper cover destruction and minor sheet metal damage. I checked with my usual shop and the adjuster asked for some time to order parts. I used my car for one week with red tape over the broken tail light, somewhat embarrasing but legal. At this point prior to dropping the car off at the repair facility everything was working includeing the Central Locking System by the key and interior center manual button.
After seven days at the shop I got my car back and returned the Dodge Intrepid. (Yah :) When I got home I noticed the interior lights did not work when the door was opened and the key would not lock/unlock the doors. Also the headlight washers did not work and the replaced tail light was extremely different. (Foggy vs. clear)
I immediately returned to the shop the next morning and pointed out the discrepancies. I also reminded him the locking system worked when I brought the car in for repair. He said a replacement tail light would be ordered.
After another week I called and the tail light was in and I could bring the car in any time for the fix.
I left the car at 7:00 AM and at 10:45 he called and said all done except the locking system was still not working. I would have to make an appointment at the dealer for the diagnosis and repair. I asked who was going to pay the dealer and was told if it was related to the accident, State Farm would pay. If it was not related I probably have to pay. I reminded him the system was working when I brought the car in and he said they could have done nothing that would have caused the system not to work, essentially disclaiming responsibility.
This is Tuesday and I have an appointment on Thursday.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
968 Posts
. An elderly gentleman (he was 72, I'm only 66) gave me a glancing blow to the right rear causing a destroyed tail light, bumper cover destruction and minor sheet metal damage.
I thought elderly started at 80? You realize driving an M5 subtracts 15 years from your age, don't you? That makes me 54 when I drive my M5.
I had a similar incident when my 15 year old granddaughter spilled a small amount of soda on the center console and my central locking button stopped working for a month and half. Just as I was about to take it in to the dealer to get it fixed it started working again all by itself after about six weeks. Perhaps it took that long for it to dry out. I've had no problems with it since. Maybe they spilled something on it at the shop??????

·
Registered
106 Posts
check fuse #53 in the trunk

I suspect your problem is related to fuse #53 which is located in the passenger side trunk compartment. You access the fuse in this area the same way you would go about changing the passenger rear tail light bulb. The fuse is a 7.5A and I believe it specifically functions to control the fuel door actuator (i.e. to lock or unlock the fuel door in conjunction with the central locking). If this fuse goes out your central locking stops working. It is likely that the fuse is bad or it got dislodged when they were changing out your taillight. I suppose it could have been disrupted during the accident but you stated that the central locking worked before taking it to the shop so I suspect that it is related to the repair. Either way it should be a cheap fix, plug the fuse back in or buy a new fuse. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I suspect your problem is related to fuse #53 which is located in the passenger side trunk compartment./quote]

+1 on the fuse. My central locking stopped working one morning and all I did was pull the fuse out to see if it had blown and when I saw that it hadn't, I put it back in. Just doing that apparently got it working. I was expecting to have the same issue soon after that, but it has now been about 6 months and no more problems.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not to state the real obvious, but make sure all doors are completely shut before trying to lock them. If even one door is open, the lock will not engage. I am assuming you already made sure of this, but just another friendly reminder. I changed my interior trim just recently and when I checked all switches, including the door lock, I had a problem. It took me a few min. to remember that all doors need to be completely closed. BTW, +1 on the fuse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A day at the dealer resulted in my beast being fixed. The ECM had to be re-programmed. The service rep was non-commital and wouldn't point a finger at the body shop although he did say, but wouldn't write the loss of programing could have been a result of improper battery disconnect (key on?) or welding on the car. I think that body shop has lost a customer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts