BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of fixing the last of the small cosmetic issues on my '02, and am having trouble coming up with a creative way to repair my center console trim. I've searched with no results. It looks like the mounting tab that the console screws into has been broken off to the left of the shifter. It's causing the whole brushed aluminium trim to lift, and the leather riser to come free. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Looks like the center console is actually damaged. You can use plastic weld or something to fix the tab, but I dont think the center console part that has lifted away will go back properly into position.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i have done a pile of plastic welding over the years with a soldering gun .. theres videos only that show you how to do it.. the console though does look like it is warped out.. if it is plastic you can try and give it a little heat with a heat gun (be carefull) and try to coax it back to shape...

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Looks like the center console is actually damaged. You can use plastic weld or something to fix the tab, but I dont think the center console part that has lifted away will go back properly into position.
+1

There is a plastic plate that acts as a cross member for the console to hold the 2 ends together. If that completely broke, it will be a PITA to fix.

I did it once, not fun as it required alot of plastic forming and glue. See my "two-tone" link for a bit of insight on the process.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have a photo of what that crossmember looks like? If I"m going to fabricate something, I'd like to have something to replicate.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Does anyone have a photo of what that crossmember looks like? If I"m going to fabricate something, I'd like to have something to replicate.

Here ya go... I think the M console does not have the extra "leather" where the cross member is IIRC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts