BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new shift boot on my M5 and had my soldering gun out to repair the wire that goes to the light in the shifter. I set the soldering gun down like a clumsy oaf and burnt the wood trim piece around the shifter on the center console. Is that hard to get off and replace and roughly how expensive is it? I guess it could have been worse if it fell on one of the seats, but I came inside from the garage and I was sick. I guess we've all done that, messed something up repairing something else.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
On ebay in the UK, that piece would be about £10 ($15). Some are screwed in place and others are stuck on with melted plastic rivets. Should be very cheap to replace.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Feel your pain. While I didn't do it the PO had glued a holder for his XM radio to mine. After the holidays I'll be searching for a new one too.

·
Registered
832 Posts
That centre console piece trim piece around the shift gate was held in with the plastic rivets. I snapped them all of in the removal process but the new piece went in just fine and sits tight without anything holding it.
No big deal so don't feel as if you've done big damage. Might as well take the opportunity to change your interior panels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plight. It's probably best to find a used center console wood kit (console + ashtray lid). This will be your best bet as far as price goes, because the factory kit is ~$250. Don't buy just the console wood used (it's not available seperately new) because there's no possibility that it will match the ashtray.

As you said, it could have been worse. And yes, we've all made similar mistakes. Just fix it and move on.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Plan B would be to sand the old piece and give it a satin black finish to match the rest of the center console....

A bit work and a spray can is all it takes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts