BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 10mm gap on between the top piece of the center console and the side part (see picture below). If you pry it apart you can tell there is a clip that is not corrently latch into the recieving pice on the top piece (see arrow in second picture).
Does anyone know how to *easiest* take this apart and fix it? Refferal to the TIS/ETK works since I have the disc, but I'm not a champion at using it.... :crying2:

Sorry about crappy camera phone pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not a very helpful reply I'm affraid, but I have exactly the same and it's bloody annoying!:mad:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I believe you should start by taking the armrest off. To do that, remove the cupholder (or the cupholder delete if you've got that) from the back of the center console. Then remove the vents (just give them a tug, they'll come out). There are two screws at the top of the rear center console, one on each side. Remove those two and the armrest will come off. From there you should be able to see what you need to take off to get in there.

By the way, that little sliding accordion door thingy for the empty compartment there in your picture just pulls out. Just open the sliding door all the way, reach in so you're gripping from behind it, and pull straight out away from the console (up towards the rearview mirror). Once that's out you might have better access to any sort of clips in that area.

And while you're putting it back together, put a TEC cupholder in there! :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! Good info on the accordian door - that will make it easier to see. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same issue. Please let me know what fixes you come up with. Its a pain in the but.

Thanks in advance and good luck!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
remove the phone/armrest as above. There are 2 screws at the front edge of the armrest (once removed) that need to come out.
Take the gear shift boot and detach it from the console. There are 2 screws anterior to the shifter that need to come out.
Put your fingers into the posterior edge of the gear shift opening and pop the hazard light button out, you can leave the wires attached, there is another screw there to undo.
There is also a white electrical connector on the drivers side connected to the console trim. There are 2 tabs to squeeze and the connector comes apart (the posterior part of the connector comes out). If you rotate the anterior piece of the connector it will come out of the console trim piece too.
You should now be able to remove the entire console trim piece to inspect.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Please let me know how to fix this. It aggrevates me so much. I have been tempted to open a bottle of super glue on it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
remove the phone/armrest as above. There are 2 screws at the front edge of the armrest (once removed) that need to come out.
Take the gear shift boot and detach it from the console. There are 2 screws anterior to the shifter that need to come out.
Put your fingers into the posterior edge of the gear shift opening and pop the hazard light button out, you can leave the wires attached, there is another screw there to undo.
There is also a white electrical connector on the drivers side connected to the console trim. There are 2 tabs to squeeze and the connector comes apart (the posterior part of the connector comes out). If you rotate the anterior piece of the connector it will come out of the console trim piece too.
You should now be able to remove the entire console trim piece to inspect.
Thank you!

I will try and report back.

Based on the other posts, looks like I'm not the only one with the issue...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bad news

So in my case it turns out the actual little tab on the centor console piece was broken. I have to buy another one ("center console insert") to fix this problem. Looks like part 51168250275 is the piece I need to replace. This is $83 on Realoem's website. Good thing I have wood trim - the sport interiror owners are looking at a $500 part!! (I guess you can't buy the lower part without the trim).
That said - this operation would now include swapping the wood tim from the old to the new. After looking at TIS, this does not look trivial... :crying2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts