BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Been a while since I posted. Texas just went to registration and inspection combo. My inspection has been expired since 2012 because I put on evosport headers and ASR exhaust. Im running no cats so my CEL lights up after reset. I have dinan stage I tune which I am completely happy with and wanted to keep it.

Can I get a tune to remove the CEL permanently or do I need to put on some secondary cats for inspection?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Texas does OBD emissions testing I run catless and live in Dallas also. Your only choice is to get a stage 3 tune from Evolve for example which is tuned for a cat delete. This will shut off the check engine light and also your emissions monitors will be all ready after a proper drive cycle except for post cat O2 monitors but you can still pass the Texas one with one "not ready" monitor.

The Dinan tune will have to go regardless in order to get your car to pass inspection with a cat delete. The Evolve's will write over it but be sure to tell them you currently have a Dinan tune on the car. The Dinan tune and other tuner's tunes do not play well from what I have read before sometimes you'll get issues with flashing.

Installing secondary cats won't do you any good as the O2 sensors that monitor are mounted further up stream and the secondary cats don't have enough cells inside to burn off all the hydrocarbons to the set parameters that the O2 sensors read. I'm planning on getting some HJS high flow race cats eventually since they burn off that extra fuel smell but flow well enough it doesn't cause a power loss. The smell gets old after awhile.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I've been so happy with my car since 2011 when I got it inspected last I didn't want to change anything, especially after shelling out $1100 for tune and install. I was going to go with evosport header tune in the past but I think they are out of business.

Is evolve the only company with de-catted tunes? I need to freshen up on research as I've been in the LS & Ecoboost world the past few years.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
There is a few others like Eurocharged and ESS but I can't speak on those since I don't have them on my car and not sure if their cat delete tunes will help you pass or not.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
Thanks for the info! I've been so happy with my car since 2011 when I got it inspected last I didn't want to change anything, especially after shelling out $1100 for tune and install. I was going to go with evosport header tune in the past but I think they are out of business.

Is evolve the only company with de-catted tunes? I need to freshen up on research as I've been in the LS & Ecoboost world the past few years.
Member YKJones and M5Jed have Dinan catless tunes on their cars.

I'm like you...I'm catless, but on the Dinan base tune, and my CEL is on as well.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Member YKJones and M5Jed have Dinan catless tunes on their cars.

I'm like you...I'm catless, but on the Dinan base tune, and my CEL is on as well.
+1 Dinan does offer the catless tune

But all it does is shut off the CEL light it doesn't do anything for the emissions monitors when it comes inspection time.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,393 Posts
+1 Dinan does offer the catless tune

But all it does is shut off the CEL light it doesn't do anything for the emissions monitors when it comes inspection time.
Correct...in CA we have to swap cats, and reinstall the base tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts