BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I start my 2001 M5 on a cold day and get a CD playing, there is alot of static coming from the speakers. If I switch it to FM, there isn't any static, if I turn down the volume the static stops -- making be believe it's the CD changer itself and not the speakers or amps (everything is stock).

There's a few ways I can get rid of the static:

1) change to a different CD and the static goes away *most* of the time. However, next time on this different CD on a cold start, it has static (I checked all these CDs and they play fine in another CD player at home, they're not scratched up and happens on original CDs and CDR's)

2) Wait it out.. let the annoying static go on for about 5 minutes and it goes away after the car warms up a bit (but the trunk is likely still icey cold)

I did some reading and another member said to check the electronics in the turnk behind the left tailight for corrosion to the stereo components, I did that and used contact cleaner on all the plugs I took apart. This didn't fix the issue and there was no major corrosion under there.

I cleaned the CD lens with one of those cleaner CD's (with the little brush on it), didn't change anything.

Anybody else have this issue? I think the laser might be on it's way out, but hope there's an easy fix :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
My thought is when it's cold and the actual unit starts up enough heat is created to cause a fogging on the cd from any humidity present. After a few minutes it clears up. Maybe take out the cassette and take it inside overnight. In the morning go out and pop it in and see if the static is there.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'd guess that you have a marginal contact on the audio ground from the CD Changer. Maybe when it's cold the metal has contracted just enough to break the contact, then as it warms up the contact is made again.

Without an audio ground you'll get sound but it'll pick up all sorts of noise from the CD Changer motor, iBus, etc ....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, I'll check the ground (make a temporary one with aligator clips) and try keeping the CD cartridge indoors.
:D

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The ground needs to be the audio ground, not general ground, so unless you clip between the correct places on the radio module and CD Changer that is not going to help!

First thing to check though is if you have analogue (6 pin) or Digital (small coaxial cable) CD Changer audio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts