BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my SIrius radio hooked up through it, so I don't think I can go the Dice or iPod route. I think I have to have the CD player to hook the Sirius radio into, right?

Anyone know of an option where I can have both the Sirius radio and my iPod and just forget the CD player????

TIA

Robert

·
Registered
597 Posts
Alpine and Intravee II.

The Alpine AI devices will allow you to switch sources between Sat Radio and ipod. I know you want the Alpine 420i for the Intravee II and ipod but I don't know what other Alpine device you need as well to make the Sat Radio and ipod work together. I am sure someone will pipe in here.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By Alpine, do you mean change out the head unit? I still have the factory unit, but I paid to upgrade it to the newer BMW factory trunk radio that could handle the Sirius radio.

At this point, I have upgraded the radio, the Sirius, BMW Bluetooth, the CD NAV to a DVD NAV and added BSW speakers, subs and amps. I think I am too far gone to go aftermarket.

If you are referring to something that adds onto all of this that can replace and/or eliminate the need for the factory CD...well I am all ears!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
By Alpine, do you mean change out the head unit? I still have the factory unit, but I paid to upgrade it to the newer BMW factory trunk radio that could handle the Sirius radio.

At this point, I have upgraded the radio, the Sirius, BMW Bluetooth, the CD NAV to a DVD NAV and added BSW speakers, subs and amps. I think I am too far gone to go aftermarket.

If you are referring to something that adds onto all of this that can replace and/or eliminate the need for the factory CD...well I am all ears!!!

Thanks!
No, you don't have to replace the head unit. The alpine referred to is the ainet, ibus interface. The standard setup is CD Changer connections >> intraveeII >> alpine KCA 420 >> ipod.
However, to have more than one selectable source, eg sirius/DAB, and ipod, then you will need a different alpine device, ie not the KCA 420. There is lots of info on the intravention.co.uk website.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yup, my CD changer crapped out too, I got the Intravee with the required Alpine box...KDA 420i?...and it has an aux input for another changer or sat.

Had the dice first...stay away.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Omid, I will be cautious.

LFC09, I will check out that sight to get more info.

One option I have is to just get the newest version of the BMW factory CD player from BimmerNAV.com that plays mp3's but that would be more trouble I guess than having a direct iPod connection. Comes down to cost vs. convenience I guess.

I'll keep studying.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yup they answered your questions on my post before I got back to the board. Head Unit stays and you can have ipod, sat radio and 6 disc cd changer (has to be Alpine as well for this set up to work).

I only have the ipod hooked up for now. But I see sat radio and 6 disc coming before summer road trips start again.

Do check out the Intravee, the cost vs. convenience and sound quality cant be beat.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently BimmerNAV.com sells the intravee, which is who I bought the SIrius Radio and other stuff from. I am sure they can help me sort it all out. That totally rocks!!

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I just ordered my Intravee and the Alpine KCA-420i to go with it. I will install it over the weekend. Yeehaaa. This board rocks!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am holding off on ordering a replacement CD player as I just don"t think I'll need it with Sirius radio and an iPod.

If I do get one, I will get the one BimmerNAV has that reads mp3's and ID3 tags so your NAV system will tell you what you're listening to instead of it saying CD 1 TR 1. blah blah blah...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
do you have the mk3 nav or mk 4 nav?
Check the appropriate settings for your Intravee on the intravention.co.uk/forum website. There are different settings within the setup that are dependent upon your radio, and nav.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I am holding off on ordering a replacement CD player as I just don"t think I'll need it with Sirius radio and an iPod.

If I do get one, I will get the one BimmerNAV has that reads mp3's and ID3 tags so your NAV system will tell you what you're listening to instead of it saying CD 1 TR 1. blah blah blah...
Remember that the OEM CD Changer has to be removed when you install the Intravee. If you want a CD Changer and the Intravee then get an Alpine CHA-S634 and KCA-410c (switch), this will give you MP3 playback from CD and ID3 tag display on the monitor.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool. I do have the updated BM53 radio and the DVD MK IV NAV. Those were the first few things I did when I bought the car.

Well, if I have to lose the CD player, that's just less weight anyway!! :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, got it installe and now there's a problem. Here's what I have...

DVD NAV Mk IV
BMW Factory Bluetooth
BMW Factory Sirius
BMW BM53 updated radio

Just added Intravee II and ALpine KCA 420i

Here's the problem: when the Intravee/Alpine is playing I am getting a loud metallic sounding static. If you switch to radio, Sirius or tape it is not there.

So I switched the removed the two connectors going into the Sirius and put them diectly into the Intravee and the metallic sound goes away...but that also loses the Sirius radio since it takes it out of the circuit.

Any clues as to what could be causing that? I don't want to have to choose between Sirius and iPod.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Contact Martin at BimmerNav and tell him you have Sirius radio, he can supply a jumper that changes the grounding characteristics of the Intravee which will get rid of the noise.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will do. I just read on another board where you told someone else about that.

Thanks for the help!! That preliminarily sounds like my problem and the approriate fix.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have sent an e-mail to Martin at bimmernav.com requesting the jumper. I am sure I will hear from him Monday.

Thanks again guys!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts