BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Cats & Resonator Remove?

5K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  FallbrookM5 
#1 ·
I just have my resonator removed yesterday and thinking about removing my cats as well. Do anyone have a video or sound file on how loud it is with the stock ehaust? or any thoughts on this procedure? I'm going with custom straight pipes..

#2 ·
There have been a number of studies over the years by various car mags that have suggested that removing cats on modern cars will do little or nothing to enhance performance.

#3 · (Edited)
cats are "built into " the headers....to remove them, you need new headers.

#5 ·
I'm not looking for performance per se...but more of a noise factor. I want a FART CANNON!!!

#9 ·
I just had my Cats removed in addition to my resonator, and I must say it's definately a sweet sound. Pretty close to the Eisenmann Race Exhaust, just a tad bit softer. Going through the Holland Tunnel was simply amazing. What do you guys think of removing the muffler and make it a complete Straight Pipe?

#10 ·
I don't think it will be all that loud straightpiped honestly. At lest not audibly satisfying. I have run the E60 without any mufflers and it sounded quite dreadful. I think the exhausts help baffle that sound into a good tone and allowit to pierce ears at certain decibals whereas a straightpipe setup just blasts out all sorts of odd tones. Hope this helps.

#12 ·
PhillyE60M5 said:
I just had my Cats removed in addition to my resonator, and I must say it's definately a sweet sound. Pretty close to the Eisenmann Race Exhaust, just a tad bit softer. Going through the Holland Tunnel was simply amazing. What do you guys think of removing the muffler and make it a complete Straight Pipe?
Hi PhillyE60M5. Were there any O2 sensors in the cats? Do you have a straight pipe that replaced the cats? Do you have the stock headers in place? I would expect the car to throw error codes after removing the cats.

I am thinking about adding Supersprint Headers, removing the cats, and doing the Active ECU. Just worried about the error codes it may produce. No more factory header with built-in cats in addition to the removal of the secondary cats may cause issues.

Does anyone know if removal of both with cause an issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.