BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have my resonator removed yesterday and thinking about removing my cats as well. Do anyone have a video or sound file on how loud it is with the stock ehaust? or any thoughts on this procedure? I'm going with custom straight pipes..

·
Registered
902 Posts
There have been a number of studies over the years by various car mags that have suggested that removing cats on modern cars will do little or nothing to enhance performance.

·
Registered
376 Posts
cats are "built into " the headers....to remove them, you need new headers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not looking for performance per se...but more of a noise factor. I want a FART CANNON!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had my Cats removed in addition to my resonator, and I must say it's definately a sweet sound. Pretty close to the Eisenmann Race Exhaust, just a tad bit softer. Going through the Holland Tunnel was simply amazing. What do you guys think of removing the muffler and make it a complete Straight Pipe?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I don't think it will be all that loud straightpiped honestly. At lest not audibly satisfying. I have run the E60 without any mufflers and it sounded quite dreadful. I think the exhausts help baffle that sound into a good tone and allowit to pierce ears at certain decibals whereas a straightpipe setup just blasts out all sorts of odd tones. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
276 Posts
PhillyE60M5 said:
I just had my Cats removed in addition to my resonator, and I must say it's definately a sweet sound. Pretty close to the Eisenmann Race Exhaust, just a tad bit softer. Going through the Holland Tunnel was simply amazing. What do you guys think of removing the muffler and make it a complete Straight Pipe?
Hi PhillyE60M5. Were there any O2 sensors in the cats? Do you have a straight pipe that replaced the cats? Do you have the stock headers in place? I would expect the car to throw error codes after removing the cats.

I am thinking about adding Supersprint Headers, removing the cats, and doing the Active ECU. Just worried about the error codes it may produce. No more factory header with built-in cats in addition to the removal of the secondary cats may cause issues.

Does anyone know if removal of both with cause an issue?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Go Fart go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts