BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3800 miles on the oil
TWZ 10w-60

I use the car daily to commute in temps 30 to 70 degrees F. I drive 3 to 4 K per month, mostly highway miles. The car had one previous owner until 78K and he ran BMW 5w-30. I am concerned about the 3.0% fuel as this value should be < 2.0%. I will recheck at 2500 as suggested and research the fuel issue, but thought I would post in see what others have found.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the summer months it runs dead center or slightly to the right, but summer are hot in Nashville. Lately both the temps for coolant and oil seem to run just to the right of the beginning of the normal range. Maybe I should check the thermostat but I would think a code would show up?

·
Registered
906 Posts
In the summer months it runs dead center or slightly to the right, but summer are hot in Nashville.
Lately both the temps for coolant and oil seem to run just to the right of the beginning of the normal range.
Maybe I should check the thermostat but I would think a code would show up?
You need to access the "secret" menu, test #7 (KTEMP) while at freeway speed with ambient temps below 60-70
degrees. This temp is what the DME sees and is far more accurate than the analog display in your temp gauge.
If below 78-79 degrees, your thermostat needs to be replaced.

Regards,
Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts