Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
bobz said:
Australia Castrol R 10W60 $79.95 5L
TWS 10W60 $24.71 1L

Same oil..

BobZ
There's been an enormous amount of discussion about whether TWS is the same as RS and R. What's your source for saying it's the same oil?

·
Registered
400 Posts
sydl said:
There's been an enormous amount of discussion about whether TWS is the same as RS and R. What's your source for saying it's the same oil?
I don't know about RS however Castrol use to only have one synthetic oil which was called Castrol SynthR 10W60.

At the time BMW had it's split from Mobil, Castrol updated it's range to the current Castrol R oils. Alegedly BMW did not want to incurr the cost of retesting it's M engines to the new SL/CF specifications and they use the old Castrol SynthR rebadged as TWS.

TWS is the older version of Castrol R 10W60.

I have spoken to technical support at Castrol Aus. as I use to work for them as a sub contractor and my brother was told basicly the same story by another tech support person that works for Castrol on site at GMH.

BobZ

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very interesting - is it possible for anyone to speak to Tech Support at Castrol Oz? Got a number - I'm in Melbourne too.

So are you saying that TWS=SynthR=R?

I can't find anything meaningful if I google "castrol SynthR"

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello mods!

Shouldn't we have OIL as a sticky? Recomende oil type, oil consumption, when to fill, all gathered in one spot.

Seems the oil question pops up alot, with alot of conflicting views. A sticky with correct data should help.

mvh

Jonas

·
Registered
400 Posts
sydl said:
Very interesting - is it possible for anyone to speak to Tech Support at Castrol Oz? Got a number - I'm in Melbourne too.

So are you saying that TWS=SynthR=R?

I can't find anything meaningful if I google "castrol SynthR"
You can call Castrol Technical support on the 1800 number and speak to one of the people regarding the difference between the oils I spoke to Castrol when BMW changed to TWS and I could not get it from a normal spare parts store (Autobarn) to top up my cars. At that stage Castrol was selling TWS but in 20L drums or bigger.

BobZ

·
Registered
400 Posts
sydl said:
This one?
CASTROL AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
Technical Service
1300 557 998
Thats the one,

Just do what I did, ask what oil your M5 should run and then when they say TWS ask where can I buy it from as I need to top up between services they should give you a spiel about buying from BMW then ask can you use Castrol R 10W60 and is there a difference?

BobZ

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
sydl said:
Is this a E60 M5? Did your BMW dealer put the Mobil 1 in or did you choose to do this?
yeah its an E60 M5.. the dealer recommended that its better than the Castrol.. which they had the poblem issue with the M3 engines.. And i think that there is a contract between Castrol and BMW M.. But they recommended to put Mobil1 ..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bobz said:
...then ask can you use Castrol R 10W60 and is there a difference?
Just spoke to Bruce at Castrol Tech line and he advised that "R Synthetic" is not the same as TWS and M5 should *only* use TWS as per BMW recommendation. End of the research for me.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
sydl said:
Just spoke to Bruce at Castrol Tech line and he advised that "R Synthetic" is not the same as TWS and M5 should *only* use TWS as per BMW recommendation. End of the research for me.
Even more than that, BMW approved oils are listed in the manual, at least on the E39 M5. Castrol R is not listed, Mobil 1 and TWS are. The use of anything other than specified oils can void your engine warranty. They can tell which oil you use when there is a major engine malfunction or cost. They will walk away from the problem and you then get the opportunity to try to get them to cover the problem, maybe in court.

Just like running the M5 on regular gas, it will run on it, but why would you spend $90k to $100k and then not put recommended oil and gas in the car. Get a cheap VW or something and save you cash where it matters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts