BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What modules should I be able to read from which port?

I have two BMW's and carsoft seems to work fine on my E36 but not on my E39. The software seems to be running properly although it will not communicate with any of the modules on my E39.

Tried key-in key-out cycles. both ports..

Is there anything I could try just to check and see if I am making a connection with the car? Like pull the VIN # or just take a live reading...

This thing sucks compared to my VAG-COM :( esp what you had to pay for it..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Which port are you connecting the scanner to? The Carsoft scanner would not work when connected to the port under the dash on my '00 M5-for the '00 model year, you must connect to the diagnostic connector located under the hood. Once I did this, Carsoft worked perfectly and interfaced with all of the available modules.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the two ports the same? or are the modules split?

What is the difference between the two?

I did try both..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Are the two ports the same? or are the modules split?

What is the difference between the two?

I did try both..
Ok-not sure why it's not working properly on yours. I know that using the port under the dash, I could'nt get any communication with the modules in the car. As soon as I connected it to the diagnostic port, it worked perfectly. Maybe you have a bad scanner? Do you or someone you know have another BMW you could test it on?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok-not sure why it's not working properly on yours. I know that using the port under the dash, I couldn't get any communication with the modules in the car. As soon as I connected it to the diagnostic port, it worked perfectly. Maybe you have a bad scanner? Do you or someone you know have another BMW you could test it on?
That's the weird thing, I have an E36 M3 and it worked fine on that. Although the OBDII port (the one under the dash) I believe only worked for one Module. All worked from the one under the hood.

M5, no go. hummm

Any other guys with a 2000 M5 have success with the carsoft software (Ebay style) ??

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's the weird thing, I have an E36 M3 and it worked fine on that. Although the OBDII port (the one under the dash) I believe only worked for one Module. All worked from the one under the hood.

M5, no go. hummm

Any other guys with a 2000 M5 have success with the carsoft software (Ebay style) ??
Do you know if your car has the latest software ECU update? I don't have the specifics, but I know there was a service bulletin for the E39 M5 that updated the software, and from what I can recall you might need this update in order for your Carsoft to work. My car had the update performed not long before I bought it, so maybe that is why mine works. Do a search here on the board for more information on the update.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know if your car has the latest software ECU update? I don't have the specifics, but I know there was a service bulletin for the E39 M5 that updated the software, and from what I can recall you might need this update in order for your Carsoft to work. My car had the update performed not long before I bought it, so maybe that is why mine works. Do a search here on the board for more information on the update.

I am not sure. I found the recall and I am going to stop by BMW to check.

Thank you for the lead.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Carsoft will only read the basic modules on the M5 and give limited info.
It is the same with carsoft OBD2 with Version 7.1.

Quite dissapointing ,you need GT1 for a full programming live data facility ect.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a BMW M5 E39 European model which was first registered in March 2001. I don't know if it is 2000 or 2001 model (has all the latest facelifting, etc.). I don't seam to find the round port under my hood. Looking at some pictures of older models, it seams to be very obvious where the port is, but there is nothing like that on my car and I cannot find a picture of an M5 E39 with the round port.

When I connect Carsoft to the ODBII port, it reads some data but not all of the modules. I don't know if this is because I am using the ODBII port and not the round port or because the Carsoft is not able to read it.

Could you give some more info or picture where the round port is on your '00 car? And also: is the Peake tool better than Carsoft?

Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a BMW M5 E39 European model which was first registered in March 2001. I don't know if it is 2000 or 2001 model (has all the latest facelifting, etc.). I don't seam to find the round port under my hood. Looking at some pictures of older models, it seams to be very obvious where the port is, but there is nothing like that on my car and I cannot find a picture of an M5 E39 with the round port.

When I connect Carsoft to the ODBII port, it reads some data but not all of the modules. I don't know if this is because I am using the ODBII port and not the round port or because the Carsoft is not able to read it.

Could you give some more info or picture where the round port is on your '00 car? And also: is the Peake tool better than Carsoft?

Thanks.
Carsoft is a piece of ****. Terrible software and a crap adapter. I ended up throwing mine away. Spend the money on a GT1 (you can get an GT1 head and adapter cables from eBay for around 1100$AUD from China) and use INPA and DIS. You can run DIS in a VM fine. I've heard that with a *lot* of messing around and hacking and a bit of soldering you can make your own cable for INPA/DIS but it is a pain. If I get anywhere with that i'll let you know ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts