BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the search function for half an hour now and I can't find the thread that showed the Carrillo (CP) piston versus the standard Mahle B36 piston.

The thread was very detailed and also compared the weight of the 2 pistons.

Can someone post the thread link please.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Tony... not trying to be negative

but NEVER buy the oem vs aftermarket......

in my and Diegos case the oem was 2800 USD ,,, vs CP that was 1100 ,,,,, forged and 100 gram lighter,, i think ALL aftermarket companies that are in the piston buisness offers a stunning quality.. at so much lower price vs oem.........

Mahle makes the oem and that is top brand+quality ,, but the price is like burglar on a shiny day with out notifying it vs the others

·
Registered
826 Posts
^^ +1

Plus stockish aren't forged and won't hold that good unlike forged set under severe loads/slight ping for being too hot the engine/bad fuel, etc etc and lastly, you save at least 1k + to spend in the gaskets/chains, etc of the engine that you are rebuilding.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In fact my standard pistons are still ok other than 2 very small valve nicks on 2 pistons

With the head work i want a bit more safety margin with valve to piston clearance and I like the deep valve pockets on the CP

I've already decided to get a set , we're waiting on pulling down Taffy's engine now and there'll be a big bulk parts order.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Couldn't agree more with the other posters. I've picked up the Wiseco versions which including rings, gudgeon (wrist) pins and circlips came in at £832 instead of £1942.52 for Mahles. I don't know whether the Mahles come with the rings etc but if they don't I would have expected a total of over £2500 and I would have had to wait for sufficient demand for them to make a batch. This week, next week, sometime, never?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I took my Mahle pistons out after nearly 200 thousand miles and ended up re fitting them. No scuff, no marks, no dings, no excessive play with the pin/rod. Still had the writing on the top. I wouldn't under estimate the original design or the testing it took to get to that high level of reliability.

Can't argue that they're relatively expensive vs aftermarket of course. //M parts aren't cheap, but they are good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with Ben when looking at the original items, they are an excellent design and seem to last a long time. If yours check out on all fronts I would re use them if possible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I certainly can't argue with the last two posts, unfortunately my pistons were scuffed otherwise I would definitely have re-used them. Had they been available I would almost certainly have got the Mahles, but the issue was a combination of availability AND price.

I wonder whether Mahle would have produced a differently crowned piston with 20 years more experience or whether that bowled piston would have remained?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts