BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't able to find anything on search, most threads were about wet rear carpet for the E39. Anyway thinking about doing a carpet color swap and I was wondering if anyone has removed their carpet, if it was bonded to the floor pan or body in anyway, or just lifts out once everything like seats & trim has been removed?

TIA.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
It's been a while since I removed my front carpet. If I remember correctly, the center console has to come out. That part was a pain, but then it just lifted out. The entire interior carpet is two pieces. One front piece and one rear piece. The seam is under the front seats.

Reactions: mordor110

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks, good info. I was wondering about it being split front/back. It looked that way when I looked on RealOEM. My main concern was that the padding/sound proofing would come apart if it was bonded in some way to the floor. Looks like this shouldn't be too hard to do if it's just laid in there with gravity.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Once you get all the trim, console, seats, and other miscellaneous bits out of the way, it's an easy pull up. No bonding to the body.

Reactions: mordor110

·
Registered
816 Posts
To remove it correctly, you need to remove the HVAC. I just cut mine so I could pull it around the HVAC system. Same for my replacement carpet. If you cut right down the center towards the HVAC, you will never see it since the center console covers it up.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for ref on the thread. Does look quite involved, very good to know. Ironically I'm pretty much going to be doing the same conversion. Carbon black car with worn out carmel heritage leather. Want to convert to back nappa/ostrich as it seems to hold up better long term daily use.

To remove it correctly, you need to remove the HVAC. I just cut mine so I could pull it around the HVAC system. Same for my replacement carpet. If you cut right down the center towards the HVAC, you will never see it since the center console covers it up.
Thanks for the tip! I hadn't figured this into the project yet.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No problem. And just to clarify, I mean cut from the shifter hole forward to the firewall straight down the middle. You might have to remove a little material on each side but it makes the job so much easier and you will never see it with the console in. Good luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts