BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand I need to get a laptop with INPA/ISTA but it seems like having something to read codes that is always around would be a good idea. I've read some mixed reviews of Carly but nothing recent on this board. Its $80 for the adapter/dongle and then $63.96 per year for the subscription so just wondering if this was the best bet or if there is any other better/preferred option.

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had it on my e70 X5 and for a complete newb it was very easy to use for coding, diagnostics and battery registration.

Since getting familiar with ISTA & INPA I had no use for it anymore.

I do want one now to carry in the car for emergencies but their yearly fees not worth it.

Look into Bimmerlink and Bimmercode instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
335 Posts
It really depends on what you want it for. If its mainly for reading codes and diagnostics you can use Bimmertool and it will give you the manufacturer codes. If its for diagnostics and coding you can also use Bimmergeeks Protool which basically allows you to perform the functions of NCSexpert and Tool32. They charge around the same amount as Carly but its a one time cost as opposed to a yearly subscription.

Bimmerlink and Bimmercode are very clean apps with same functions as Carly and cheaper. The only thing is they only work on LCI cars (2008 and on).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Download an app called Torque on android and buy a ELM327 on ebay. For all the basics that will get the job done. Reading/clearing codes, logging data, etc. With that said I have Carly but was grandfathered in before their subscription service started and would not pay yearly for it.

Reactions: ticat928

·
Registered
36 Posts
Carly is now a subsription based service. I’m grandfathered into the old system which is great. Easy to use interface. On the go coding/code reading. Would I pay monthly for it no. I keep the Carly in the m5 and the schwaben fo well scanner in the x5.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have it for quick code reading. I used it for small coding like mirrors, comfort access, bulb warning deletes HUD turnsignals, etc. I got it before they started doing the stupid subscription...so I'm set. I also have INPA and INSTA....so there's that

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had it on my e70 X5 and for a complete newb it was very easy to use for coding, diagnostics and battery registration.

Since getting familiar with ISTA & INPA I had no use for it anymore.

I do want one now to carry in the car for emergencies but their yearly fees not worth it.

Look into Bimmerlink and Bimmercode instead.

Thank you, had not heard of that one, will go check it out.

It really depends on what you want it for. If its mainly for reading codes and diagnostics you can use Bimmertool and it will give you the manufacturer codes. If its for diagnostics and coding you can also use Bimmergeeks Protool which basically allows you to perform the functions of NCSexpert and Tool32. They charge around the same amount as Carly but its a one time cost as opposed to a yearly subscription.

Bimmerlink and Bimmercode are very clean apps with same functions as Carly and cheaper. The only thing is they only work on LCI cars (2008 and on).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really intending it for use if I'm away from home and need to see what codes are or potentially clear the codes. Looked at Bimmertool but it is android only couldn't find an IOS version. Car is an 08 so will definitely look into Bimmerlink/code.

Download an app called Torque on android and buy a ELM327 on ebay. For all the basics that will get the job done. Reading/clearing codes, logging data, etc. With that said I have Carly but was grandfathered in before their subscription service started and would not pay yearly for it.
Tried looking for this on IOS but there are a ton of apps that have torque as the name so not sure any of them are the same.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There’s no iOS app for Torque.

Also if you are on iOS only Wifi OBD2 dongles work versus BT.

I believe Wifi is faster(data transfer) but you have to unlink the phone to use the internet again which can get annoying.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I use OBDlink, it works with Harry's laptimer. Engine codes and reset only. If you want to get into other modules and reset that stuff I am all about INPA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those that would like to get an Android app with focus at BMW, then I would highly suggest to use Deep OBD for BMW and VAG. Already used with cheap ELM 327. It is actually a heavy tool in comparison to other generic OBD diag tools. it can theoretically perform all operations that are possible with INPA or Tool32.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use OBDlink, it works with Harry's laptimer. Engine codes and reset only. If you want to get into other modules and reset that stuff I am all about INPA.
Glad you posted this, I was looking at the OBD adapters that BimmerLink supports and the OBDlink Mx is supported and as you note supported for Harry's Lap timer so that solidifies that decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts