Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background...
I graduated with BS Biology and BA Psychology (i never intended to use the Psych but had enough credits to double major)...

Anyway, I have tons of research experience and can get tons of jobs in research and development, but initially intended to be Pre-med but changed my mind but don't want to stay in the research field.

I've been considering health administration, business in the life sciences, pharmaceutical sales, or sales and consulting - basically a move towards business/sales and away from the actual science stuff.

As a fresh graduate with little sales experience, it's difficult to get a good position with pharmaceutical sales or other lucrative field b/c they require experience and it is now so competitive.

Question...
A Financial Advisor position is available through American Express Financial Advisors and I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this? They seem to be a mass hire type firm and you can make good money on commissions but the short-term or salary is horrible. Some things about it seem shady though, and I would be interested in this job solely to make good money for a couple years and get sales experience to move onto a better higher paying job in a business field. You get your Series 7 and insurance/financial licenses, build a client base, basically sell financial services to customers, build up a practice that you can branch off on your own, and then you can sell your practice and clients for money. The quick sales pitch was that it was great sales experience for entrepreneurs, you could earn $50k+ in your first year, and after 3 years when you go independent the average income is $127k.

So? What do you think? This job sort of conjures up images of "The Boiler Room" or that they just make money off of hiring tons of Advisors and scamming people into buying $500 financial plans but maybe for my short-term goals of getting my foot in the door with sales experience it is a good idea. Anyone heard anything about Amex Financial? As a science major, I want to get away from research b/c there isn't any money in that and I'm not interested in Bio grad school or anything. Med school is still a possibility but I'd like to work and make money for a couple of years. Health Business Administration is a possibilty but that is grad school and school loans and I don't know all the info yet. I am willing to work my *** off, travel, I'm knowledgeable in science, sales, technology, etc. and just want a career that is rewarding and that pays VERY well.

Any advice?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I intereviewed for this position many years ago. After attenting their "open house," I was very turned off by it. It is pretty much a retail/telemarketing job.

'Rocket

·
2,485 Posts
Gorilla Beast said:
Stick to becoming a Doctor kid. Like a surgeon or cosmetic surgeon if you want a job with guaranteed paydays
Try to be less brash next time. Also, consider giving some helpful input. Telling him to go the doctor route is not helpful as he said he does not want to do that.

Or I can just delete your worthless posts next time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input everyone. after going to the initial interview i decided not to pursue a position with AMEX b/c it definitely wasn't for me. they invited me back for the next round but i told them politely that it wasn't what i was looking for.

i may pursue the medical route further down the road (i'm 22 right now and graduating this december) but i don't think it is for me. my GPA is not high enough as a white male, and i would want to go to a good school and get a good residency - plus the insurance/ppo and big emphasis on geriatric care with the aging baby boomer generation are a lot of unknowns on the industry (of course doctors will always make tons of money though).

b/c i have bio and psyc degrees, i'd like to use the bio but doing research or going to graduate school just doesn't pay anything. that is why i would like to go into sales so pharmaceuticals or another life science industry would be perfect and then in a few years i could take a stab at med school once i knew it was what i wanted and could commit. the other thing i am considering is hospital/business administration. it's just really hard to get your foot in the door to get a good sales/marketing position or to get into pharmaceutical sales...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.