BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here tried Carbotech brake pads ?

A few people i know with modified Volvo's (don't laugh) have been using Carbotech pads for a while now and really rate them for trackdays over standard pads, also read on MLR that quite a few people using them on evo's also. I've bought some Carbotech XP8's for the front so will see what their like when i fit them next week with fluid & hoses. The pads were about the same price as Pagid RS29 but just thought i'd give them a go as they have very good reviews. Just thought i would try something different to the Pagid RS29 which is tried & tested.

Simon.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
ive had a couple of different pads with 'carbo' in there title/description - they were all good! im running the rs29s now for the same reason as you - i wanted to see if they were as good as people say, i think they are.

·
Registered
971 Posts
i rate the xp8's - good for fast road.
xp10s/12's are track days really.
ax6's are no different from bobcats
getting some braided lines, better brake fluid will make a difference too.
if the calipers are old, renewing the seals etc. as well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i rate the xp8's - good for fast road.
xp10s/12's are track days really.
ax6's are no different from bobcats
getting some braided lines, better brake fluid will make a difference too.
if the calipers are old, renewing the seals etc. as well.
The guy at Carbotech did say he uses XP10 for trackdays. I thought i'd give XP8's a go on the M5 as they should be a bit quieter than XP10 & 99% of the time its used on the road. Plus i do have a dedicated track car but may try the M5 on a track evening or the odd session rather than a complete day.

Simon.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the bobcat version. 1521, basically the entry level pad.

I'd say they perform just as good as the stock pads, with less dust. I am very happy with them. They make 0 noise too. Maybe next time I will try the more aggressive AX6.

I tried Hawk HP Plus Ceramic. What garbage. I couldn't let people borrow my car in fear of them crashing the car. They had NO initial bite at all, it was terrible.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
i ran the XP8s on my last 540. worked flawlessly at the track. definitely noisy on the street.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only got around to fitting new front discs and the XP8 pads a couple of months ago !
The downside is they create a lot of brake dust and i have had an annoying brake squeal from one side which only disapeared when i braked, chamferred the edges off the pads and that seemed to sort the squeal.
The braking is very very good at all temps, when you get heat into them they are outstanding, not tracked it yet though as i have a proper little light track car that doesn't need big brakes so the M5 hasn't been near a track yet.

One thing i did notice was that the other week i had a terrible brake vibration (like warped discs) after i had been braking quite hard a few times. Took the car out a few days later and still had a vibration when braking at speed so i gave it a couple of big brakes from high speed and it seemed to clean the discs up of deposits as its ok now with no vibration, is this normal ?

Thanks
Simon.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Simon,
I have the same terrible vibration under braking. I am running Axxis pads from the previous owner. I am not impressed with them. I am a light braker as I do not like to punish my brakes. I also noticed that the vibration seemed to be reduced after a couple of harder stops. Would also like to know if I need to modify my braking habits for the Beast. The headlights vibrating under braking make me embarrassed to be driving...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts